[net.sf-lovers] THE ADVENTURES OF THE STAINLESS STEEL RAT by Harry Harrison

psc@lzwi.UUCP (Paul S. R. Chisholm) (08/07/85)

     Harrison has a remarkable talent.  He writes straight adventure SF,
but writes it *so *straight, it comes out funny.  Add a little humor,
and what you've got is a fun little read.

     THE ADVENTURES OF THE STAINLESS STEEL RAT is a collection of three
novels: THE STAINLESS STEEL RAT, THE STAINLESS STEEL RAT'S REVENGE, and
THE STAINLESS STEEL RAT SAVES THE WORLD.  The universe has been fairly
well tamed, there is plenty for everyone, and things are mostly quiet.
That's fine for ninety-nine percent of the worlds's population; the
oddballs want a little more.  One such is James "Slippery Jim" diDriz,
who in a stainless steel world can still find holes in the wall to hide
in.  His greatest weakness is his soft heart.  With a pocketful of
grenades and a recoilless .75, he fights, steals, and chases his way
across the galaxy.  There's an impossible escape about every twenty
pages, a beautiful woman or so, and dozens of great straight lines.

     Four dollars is still a lot of money for a paperback.  When the
paperback has three novels in it, it's a bargain.  Recommended as a good
light read or three.
--
       -Paul S. R. Chisholm       The above opinions are my own,
       {pegasus,vax135}!lzwi!psc  not necessarily those of any

joel@peora.UUCP (Joel Upchurch) (08/08/85)

	Don't forget the sequels:

	The Stainless Steel Rat Wants You
		     and
	The Stainless Steel Rat for President

carl@proper.UUCP (Carl Greenberg) (08/10/85)

In article <> psc@lzwi.UUCP (Paul S. R. Chisholm) writes:
>     THE ADVENTURES OF THE STAINLESS STEEL RAT is a collection of three
>novels: THE STAINLESS STEEL RAT, THE STAINLESS STEEL RAT'S REVENGE, and
>THE STAINLESS STEEL RAT SAVES THE WORLD.

There are two more books that come after that:  THE STAINLESS STEEL RAT WANTS
YOU! and THE STAINLESS STEEL RAT FOR PRESIDENT.  Both are just as funny as the
first three and make a great snack if you're the type that eats 300-page novels
for dinner.
                                           Carl Greenberg

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong - DCS) (08/11/85)

In article <238@lzwi.UUCP> psc@lzwi.UUCP (Paul S. R. Chisholm) writes:
>One such is James "Slippery Jim" diDriz,
>who in a stainless steel world can still find holes in the wall to hide
>in.

it's diGriz.  harrison was very fond of bad puns in the six
(at least) novels comprising the stainless steel rat series.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

hester@uci-icse (08/12/85)

From: Jim Hester <hester@uci-icse>

Just to set the record straight, Jim DeGriz never does more than think
lecherously about anyone but his one true love (a Stainless Steel Rat
herself), partially because she is extremely jealous and a (mostly)
reformed ruthless killer.  She used to kill for the fun of it, now only
when she has a reason, like someone giving her a dirty look, or a
possibly unfaithful husband.

I disagree that Harrison wrote it so straight as to be funny.  It seems
to me he played it for as many laughs as he could, quite intentionally.
Jim (the narrator of the stories) describes everything sarcastically,
primarily attacking all forms of government burocuracy.  This does not
happen by accident.

The main reason I replied, though, is to point out that there are (at
least) five Stainless Steel Rat novels, the first three of which have
been collected in THE ADVENTURES OF THE STAINLESS STEEL RAT:

The Stainless Steel Rat
The Stainless Steel Rat's Revenge
The Stainless Steel Rat Saves the World

The other two are sold seperately.  I am not positive of the order of
these two, but think I got it right:

The Stainless Steel Rat Wants You
The Stainless Steel Rat for President

tedi@mmintl.UUCP (Ted Ives) (08/15/85)

I read somewhere that Harrison is coming out with a new STAINLESS STEEL RAT
book sometime this fall.  I'm not sure, but I think the article said
something to the effect that it is about the ORIGIN of Slippery Jim.
					-Ted Ives
					pwa-b!mmintl
					or tedi@mmintl.UUCP