[mod.computers.vax] Problem with async DECnet

info-vax@ucbvax.UUCP (01/15/86)

Mike,

The problem here is that you can't run async DECnet between two systems that
are not in the same DECnet area.  Check out the "Guide to VMS Networking",
page 5-13 under the section labeled ""Reasons for Failure of Static
Asynchronous Connections". (after the manual was updated to V4.2, this part
was not in previous incarnations of the manual, since mine has a big change
bar on the page).  Your example had one node in area 63 and the other in
area 1.

I assume this restriction has to do with the amount of traffic between area
routers being more than they want an async line to bear.  Frankly, as in
so many other things, I'd rather they let ME decide whether the usefulness
warrants the extra load.  (I need to connect two separate areas with
dynamic DECnet for very light traffic, but cannot, thanks to what appears
to be a rather arbitrary restriction.)  If there really is a sound reason
for this restriction, then I'd like to hear it.

	/Kevin Carosso                 engvax!kvc @ CIT-VAX.ARPA
	 Hughes Aircraft Co.

MIGLESIAS@UCIVMS.BITNET (01/17/86)

I found the passage in the other site's 4.2 manual after I sent the
message.  I also feel that it is an arbitrary restriction;  a warning
in the manual about high traffic if you are connecting two area
routers (if this is indeed the case for not allowing it) would have
been sufficient.  This restriction gives us less flexibility in
how we set up any campus-wide DECnet; we now have to assign
node numbers to people instead of saying "Here's a DECnet area
for your department; assign the node numbers however you want".

I'd like to hear the reason for this myself;  How about it DEC?

Mike Iglesias
University of California, Irvine

Staff.Hershman@NYU20 (Ittai Hershman) (01/17/86)

Here at NYU we have been running static asynch DECnet between a 780 in
area 1 and a 785 in area 15 over a 9600 baud line.  Both are
area-routers.  The 780 is running VMS 4.1, the 785 VMS 4.2.

Furthermore, I am running a local ethernet with two different DECnet areas
running on it (actually the ethernet is a DELNI) while we go through some
transitions.

It may go against the spec, but it does work...

-Ittai
-------

Staff.Hershman@NYU20 (Ittai Hershman) (01/21/86)

The original copy of this seems to have gone to the great bit-bucket...