[mod.computers.vax] ADA

A105@UWOCC1.BITNET (Brent Sterner) (01/15/86)

   Does anyone know of a 3rd party source for ADA.  Apparently from DEC
it is quite expensive.  Further, any experiences with the product and/or
the 3rd party?

Brent Sterner
Computing & Communications Services
Natural Sciences Building
The University of Western Ontario
London, Ontario, Canada
N6A 5B7
Telephone (519)679-2151  (secretary)
                   2167  (direct)

info-vax@ucbvax.berkeley.edu.UUCP (01/22/86)

In article <8601172045.AA19538@ucbvax.berkeley.edu> A105@UWOCC1.BITNET (Brent Sterner) writes:

>   Does anyone know of a 3rd party source for ADA.  Apparently from DEC
>it is quite expensive.  Further, any experiences with the product and/or
>the 3rd party?
>
>Brent Sterner
>The University of Western Ontario

Hold on.  ADA from DEC is $4,980 for the license if you get an educational
discount (QD058-UZ). Of course the bandits want $2,600 for the distribution and
documentation (QD058-HM).  For commercial folks the license is about $20000.
We've been happy with DEC's ADA.  It takes lots of memory (at least 1/2
megabyte), much time to compile and doesn't generate code like their Fortran
but we haven't had any trouble with bugs.

John Pierce
Research Triangle Institute