Date: 23 Jan 86 21:03:24 EST
From: *Hobbit* <AWalker@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Print queues
To: info-vax@SRI-KL.ARPA
cc: Hobbit@RED.RUTGERS.EDU

Well, I am stumped.  How do I set up a print queue so that only a certain
bunch of people can use it and not others?  What I want to do is protect the
queue (w) and have an ACL to allow a certain group to print things.
Setting an ACL on the device itself [txa2: in this case] has no effect on
the queue protection.  I think it should.  And there is no way to set an ACL
on a queue, from what I can find.  Am I missing something obvious, or did
they fail to address this when they did all the security stuff?

_H*
-------

Don't spend any more time trying to make it work, and start writing an SPR.
DEC currently doesn't support ACLs on queues.  Putting an ACL on the device
doesn't work because the symbiont allocates the device, not the user.

In the simpler case where the people who need access to the queue are all
in the same UIC group, you can make change the owner UIC of the queue to a free
one in the that group (e.g. [group,377]) and make the queue protection
(S:EXECUTE,O:DELETE,G:READ+WRITE,W:NONE).