[mod.computers.vax] node 1026

GKN%OAK.SAINET.MFENET@LLL-MFE.ARPA (02/01/86)

Date:    Fri, 31-JAN-1986 23:37 EST
To:      info-vax@sri-kl.arpa

        From:   Arpa%"AWalker@RED.RUTGERS.EDU" 31-JAN-1986 10:12
        Subj:   Another interesting one
        Date:   28 Jan 86 06:09:11 EST

        ...I've run across entries in netserver.log of the type
        '' connect request received from 1026::"0=USER" which turns
        out to be host 2.

        [...]
        Do host numbers wrap around at 1024, is 2 translating to 1026,
        and why would my host be adding extra bits to the incoming host
        number?  In other words, what's going on?

A Phase IV DECnet address looks like this:

        ! area !  address !
        1      1          0
        5      0

The area number is in the high order 6 bits, and the node address is in
the low order 10 bits.  Your node 2 is in area 1, which accounts for the
1024 bias you see in the node address.

gkn