[mod.computers.vax] New VAXen

G.ZEEP%MIT-EECS@MIT-EDDIE.ARPA (Wang Zeep) (12/02/85)

I have been told there are three new full-sized Vaxen:

1)  A 8650, which is a two board CPU replacement (for the current
4 boards in an 8600?)  which is a 50% improvement.

2)  Another Vax, with a new bus, which is 2x8600.  Scorpio?

3)  The last Vax, which is 4x8600.

After that, it will be RISC and AI-multiprocessor machines.

Apparently, (3) has already gone through preliminary design and
(1) is fully designed and tested, and will be out pretty soon.

This all comes from a (usually) reliable DEC employee, who's been
right before.

			wz\

-------

McGuire_Ed@GRINNELL.MAILNET (01/29/86)

I will be at the DEC announcement tomorrow and will post a summary.

lars@ACC.ARPA (02/07/86)

>> Date:  Tue,  4-FEB-1986 12:25 EST
>> From:    Ronald A. Jarrell  <JARRELLRA%VTVAX5.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
>> Subject:  Interesting point about 8200
>>
>> Did anyone else notice that the 8200 and 8300 are the long awaited
>> microvax III?

And I hear that the 8800 is the likewise long awaited VAX-11/755.
Seems they were tweaking around with the 750 to see how fast it
could be made to run, and it just kept on running faster and faster ...
which is why it is limited to 32MB of memory. Aren't these rumours fun ?

But seriously, it looks like DEC is catching up on technology; if
VMS becomes a truly symmetric N-processor system, it should be
reasonable to see it give IBM a run for the mainframe money.

				/ Lars
------