[mod.computers.vax] Interesting point about 8200

JARRELLRA@VTVAX5.BITNET (Ronald A. Jarrell) (02/06/86)

Did anyone else notice that the 8200 and 8300 are the long awaited
microvax III?  Looks like DEC has decided to make them a top end
replacement for the 700 series..  I wouldn't be surprised to see
a gradual phasing out of the 700's as DEC manages to clear it's outstanding
orders and warehouses...

-Ron Jarrell
Va Tech

rad@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA (Dick Dramstad) (02/06/86)

>Did anyone else notice that the 8200 and 8300 are the long awaited
>microvax III?  Looks like DEC has decided to make them a top end
>replacement for the 700 series..  I wouldn't be surprised to see
>a gradual phasing out of the 700's as DEC manages to clear it's outstanding
>orders and warehouses...

     Anyone who is thinking of buying a 7xx series VAX now should
reconsider.  The 8200 gives you 780 speed in a 730-size box, at about
half the price, with four times the warranty period.  Plus, you get the
BI bus, which is going to be a big part of DEC's future products.  You
also have the potential to upgrade to an 8300 (did they announce an
upgrade option yet?), and even beyond.  The BI bus isn't limited to
just *two* processors, you know.

     Now, if we could just get the electricians to finish putting in
the power for our 8200...

Dick Dramstad
rad@mitre-bedford.arpa

<Standard disclaimers.>

McGuire_Ed@GRINNELL.MAILNET (02/11/86)

Reply follows enclosed reference:
------------------------------
Forwarded by [  1,60 ] GRINNE::Stanis,Bob           Mon, 10-Feb-86, 10:38 AM

To: "Ronald A. Jarrell" <JARRELLRA%VTVAX5.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Cc: info-vax@sri-kl.ARPA
Subject: Re: Interesting point about 8200
Phone: (617) 271-UNIX
Date: 06 Feb 86 09:06:21 EST (Thu)
From: Dick Dramstad <rad@mitre-bedford.ARPA>

>Did anyone else notice that the 8200 and 8300 are the long awaited
>microvax III?  Looks like DEC has decided to make them a top end
>replacement for the 700 series..  I wouldn't be surprised to see
>a gradual phasing out of the 700's as DEC manages to clear it's outstanding
>orders and warehouses...

     Anyone who is thinking of buying a 7xx series VAX now should
reconsider.  The 8200 gives you 780 speed in a 730-size box, at about
half the price, with four times the warranty period.  Plus, you get the
BI bus, which is going to be a big part of DEC's future products.  You
also have the potential to upgrade to an 8300 (did they announce an
upgrade option yet?), and even beyond.  The BI bus isn't limited to
just *two* processors, you know.

     Now, if we could just get the electricians to finish putting in
the power for our 8200...

Dick Dramstad
rad@mitre-bedford.arpa

<Standard disclaimers.>

DEC's new solution to performance problems:  Buy more DEC processors!