[mod.computers.vax] Random BACKUP comments

SBAILEY@dominoes.UUCP.UUCP (05/14/86)

First, a quick comment about the HSC-50 backup question that's been
floating around the network...

In article <8605121408.AA01209@uwmcsd1.UUCP> Sandy Berger writes:

>In article <8605102347.AA29393@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>
>jbredese@CARLETON.CSNET (John Bredesen) writes:
>
>>1a) If so, is the tape in backup format so it can be used by the host later
>>    on?
>
>The format is unique to the HSC and cannot be used by the host. Files can not
>be restored on a selective basis. It's all or nothing and the HSC must be used
>for the restore.

This is not the case.  The tape is written using the same format that
VMS BACKUP uses when you do a /PHYSICAL backup.  In particular, if you
have a save set that was created by the HSC-50 you can:

$ MOUNT/FOREIGN/OVER=ACC $1$MUA0:
$ BACKUP/PHYSICAL $1$MUA0:/SAVE $1$DUA51:

or whatever.  If you like, you can BACKUP/LIST and see that some of
the fields in the header are scrambled, but the important stuff (name
and block count) is still there.  I tried doing a restore like above
and it worked for the 1st half-reel at least.  (I got tired of waiting
and didn't want to do the whole 3.5 reels.)  I don't know what you'd
have to do if you wanted to restore a VMS backup using the HSC-50;
probably something similar to:

$ BACKUP/PHYSICAL DISK: TAPE:SAVESET/REWIND/NOCRC   ! Off-the-wall guess

Now that the record is straight on that, I have a question about
stand-alone backups:  "WHY?"  We routinely do the usual VMS
BACKUP/IMAGE, etc. on our system disks as well as our user disks.  I
do not worry about the few files (ACCOUNTNG.DAT, etc.) which are open
for write on the disk since I can live without 100% of my accounting
or error log or whatever data.

In fact, I have been making private system disks for new nodes in our
cluster by BACKUP/IMAGE from an active system disk to a spare disk,
and then changing the SYSn directory name to whatever I want, before
proceeding to hacking swap/page files, startup procedures, etc.

Is there something inherently better about standalone backups (besides
the pain) that I should know about?  Unless we get mauled by an
earthquake or similar disaster, one of our nodes is always up and
available for doing saves/restores of other nodes, and even if we had
to rebuild from scratch, my impression is that I could use our normal
image saves and restore them using standalone backup.  If I'm wrong,
I'd really love to find out about it while I can still recover
gracefully.

Thanks in advance for the explanations.

Scott Bailey                  UUCP: {scgvaxd,cit-vax}!engvax!dominoes!sbailey
VAX System Manager           Xerox: sbailey:ES GSD/WCO:Xerox
Xerox Corp. RE/GSD/WCO       Phone: (213) 536-5441