[mod.computers.vax] VMS Mailing lists

DPVC@UORDBV.BITNET.UUCP (05/22/86)

Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
ROODE%BIONET@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA (David Roode) writes:
>Has anyone layered mailing lists successfully on top of
>VMS Mail?  What I had in mind was a foreign mail protocol
>handler that would expand mailing list names into their
>components and in turn deliver the mail to each component.
>For example, I mail to C_USERS%LIST and the message
>is delivered to an arbitrary group of people who are
>known to be C_USERS.

The VMS Mailer already does what I think you are asking for.  If you
put a list of addresses in a file with a .COM type, you can mail to
all of the addresses in the file at once.  When MAIL asks for the TO: address,
you type an "at" sign (@) followed by the file name.  For example, if your
mailing list is named C_USERS.COM, then you should type the following:

   $ MAIL
   MAIL> SEND
   TO:   @C_USERS
   SUBJ: C promgramming

Since the VMS mailer expands logical names before it interprets an address,
you can do something like the following to make this easier:

   $ DEFINE C_USERS "@SYS$LOGIN:C_USERS.COM" ! always use the one in SYS$LOGIN

then just MAIL to C_USERS.  If there are only a few people in the list,
you could just

   $ DEFINE C_USERS "FRED,JOE,RED::AMY,MARGRET"

and avoid having to have a separate mailing list file.

Mailing list files can contain:  calls to other mailing list files (just
put @filename in the mailing list); comments (preceded by '!'); DECnet
addresses; foreign protocol specifiers (e.g., JNET%"DPVC@UORDBV"); and
logical names that translate to any of these.

                                        Davide P. Cervone
                                        University of Rochester
                                        Computing Center
                                        DPVC@UORDBV.BITNET