[mod.computers.vax] VMS MAIL and mailing lists

KVC@engvax.UUCP.UUCP (05/24/86)

> The VMS Mailer already does what I think you are asking for.  If you
> put a list of addresses in a file with a .COM type, you can mail to

The file extension used by default is ".DIS".  I know, I always think it's
".COM" also...

> Since the VMS mailer expands logical names before it interprets an address,
> you can do something like the following to make this easier:
>
>   $ DEFINE C_USERS "@SYS$LOGIN:C_USERS.COM" ! always use the one in SYS$LOGIN
>
> then just MAIL to C_USERS.  If there are only a few people in the list,
> you could just
>
>   $ DEFINE C_USERS "FRED,JOE,RED::AMY,MARGRET"

In VMS V4 and later, you can also use MAIL's own forwarding address feature
instead of logical names.  Just create a forwarding address C_USERS that
goes to whoever you want.  The forwarding address can even be @FILE.DIS
if you want to put the users into a file.   We do all our lists here that
way.  Major advantages to using MAIL forwarding addresses is that you don't
have more logicals names lying around to get confused about and you don't
have to add them to the system startup so they get defined everytime you
boot.  MAIL keeps them in VMSMAIL.DAT.

	/Kevin Carosso              engvax!kvc @ csvax.caltech.edu
	 Hughes Aircraft Co.