[mod.computers.vax] high-speed term connection

macmillan%wnre.aecl.cdn%ubc.CSNET@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA.UUCP (05/17/86)

We have a Tektronix 4100 series terminal connected to a uVAX DHV-11 line
operating at 9.6 Kb/s. The machines are 250 feet apart. Can a faster
connection be made? (the terminal supports 38.4 Kb/s) It is not practical
to move the terminal closer to the uVAX.

An existing Ethernet cable could be extended and a connection made through
a DECserver100. That would give 19.2 Kb/s. Better, but expensive.

John MacMillan
Atomic Energy of Canada
Whiteshell Nuclear Research Establishment
Pinawa, MB, Canada R0E 1L0

(204) 753-2311 ext. 2539

jbs@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (05/21/86)

In article <162:macmillan@wnre.aecl.cdn> macmillan%wnre.aecl.cdn@UBC.CSNET (John MacMillan) writes:
>We have a Tektronix 4100 series terminal connected to a uVAX DHV-11 line
>operating at 9.6 Kb/s. The machines are 250 feet apart. Can a faster
>connection be made? (the terminal supports 38.4 Kb/s)

The DHV-11 supports 38.4K Baud, I believe, and I know it supports
19.2K Baud, since I use it.  As for whether or not the length of the
terminal line is a problem, the only answer I know is to try it.  If
it works, fine.  I've had 1000 foot lines work at 9600 baud, after
being told it woudn't.  You might also consider some sort of
line-driver, which extends the range of RS-232 communcations.  Black
Box people, for example, make these.

Jeff Siegal

cetron%utah-cbd@UTAH-CS.ARPA (Ed Cetron) (05/22/86)

	I have one terminal line from a DH11 on my 11/44 which is
running 19.2k for over 700 feet....I get a 1% error rate...the
best suggestion is to try it, 250 feet is not all that long...a
special low-loss, low-capacitance cable will also help....

-ed cetron	cetron%utah-cbd@utah-cs.arpa

bzs@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA.UUCP (05/25/86)

>From: jbs@MIT-EDDIE.ARPA (Jeff Siegal)
>As for whether or not the length of the
>terminal line is a problem, the only answer I know is to try it.  If
>it works, fine.  I've had 1000 foot lines work at 9600 baud, after
>being told it woudn't.

I remember hearing a rumor once that there is a reason DEC's muxes
usually work past the "official" RS232 length limits, like that they
were designed to. Anyone know anymore? (of course, this may depend
on the mux.) Might help settle this periennial argument between the
spec's folks and the "but I've done it a thousand times" folks (like me.)

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

Magill@upenn.CSNET (CETS Operations Manager) (05/28/86)

The EIA RS232 length limit of 50 feet was created around a certain wide standard
of voltage levels and corresponding line losses and load factors.
The EIA signal may be from + or - 3 to + or - 25 volts with the specification
that when properly loaded (3000-7000 ohms) the signal at the "interface point"
shall be not less than 5 volts nor more thatn 15 volts in magnitude.

Therefore sufice it to say that if you:
a) increase receiver sensitivity (being able to "read" a low incoming voltage
   level (+- 3) while not being killed by a high level (+-15),
b) increase your output transmitter so that you stay closer to the +- 15 volt
   signal level than to the +- 5 level
c) use low loss transmission cable
d) use shielded transmission cable

Use of any or all of the above techniques will markedly change the distances
available to you for an EIA RS232 connection. You will discover that terminal
"A" will work reliably at high speed (9600 -19.2k) for 300 feet, but that
terminal "B" will only work reliably at a maximum speed of 2400 baud at 300
feet, and that terminal "C" won't even work beyond 100 feet.

Today, all of the above is changing as the Communications world evolves from
the "unbalanced" world of EIA RS232 into the "unbalanced/balanced" world
of EIA RS443 into the "balanced" world of EIA RS449. You will note that on page
4 of your latest DECDirect catalog update that DEC423 appears.

One of the major goals of the new standards is the achievement of higher
transmission speeds over longer distances, reliably.