[mod.computers.vax] Query about MicroVAX II performance

dfile@ecsvax.UUCP (Dean File) (05/28/86)

I am a relative neophyte when it comes to anything larger than a
microcomputer.  I have written an application for searching a text-
oriented database (Datatrieve-based) using the DEC Professional series
microcomputer.  We have found that, although it does work, the PRO350
computer is slow in response time and also limits the size of our
application's task image unacceptably.  (Yes, I know we can start
using overlays, but won't this slow the response time even more?)

We now are of a mind to get a MicroVAX II with multiple terminals
in order to improve on these flaws imposed by the PRO350.  I would
greatly appreciate any wisdom anyone can offer as to the uVAX II's
performance for this kind of application (largely database I/O,
most files being read-only; very large record formats--2000-3000
bytes--but not very long files--50-200 records).

Specifically,

   - how does uVAX II handle I/O-intensive operations (6-12 concurrent
     users)?

   - do we need to shoot for maximum-memory (9 MB?) system?

   - which is better for this--VMS or Ultrix?

   - will our existing programs (using Datatrieve, BASIC-PLUS-2, FMS,
     FDT) recompile on a uVAX without modification?

   - We will probably be able to access an Ethernet broadband.  Should
     this be utilized in any way?

   - Any suggestions on other hardware/software we should consider?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dean File
Laboratory for Computing and Cognition
UNC-Chapel Hill School of Medicine

cetron%utah-cbd@UTAH-CS.ARPA (Ed Cetron) (05/31/86)

RE:		Date: Wed, 28 May 86 10:35:21 edt
		From: Dean File <ecsvax!dfile%mcnc.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>
		Subject: Query about MicroVAX II performance
>(Yes, I know we can start
>using overlays, but won't this slow the response time even more?)
	yep, it will, A LOT!!!!

	in answer to your questions:

   - how does uVAX II handle I/O-intensive operations (6-12 concurrent
     users)?
	ok, with the RQDX3 style controllers, you will see a massive increase
	in speed over the pro350 (let's see, the 350 ~ my 11/23, and my 11/73
	was ~3 times as fast, and my uVax II was about 3 times that fast so
	maybe 6-9 times as fast.....)
	BUT: with a better controller, you will see wonders.  The CS department
	here did some benchmarks with the Emulex QD32 and a Fujitsu eagle on
	a MVII with better performance (i/o intensive) than an RA81 on an
	11/785..... for a large database, i definately recommend using a big
	disk configuration (Fuji eagle/QD32 [or equivalent]  or KDA50/RA81).

   - do we need to shoot for maximum-memory (9 MB?) system?
	probably not, we have 3-4 simultaneous users with large in-memory
	simulations and only 5 Mb...however, with the costs of 8Mb boards
	from third party vendors it might actually be better to go to
	9 rather than 5 (and the latest from Standard Memories is looking
	very, very good)

   - which is better for this--VMS or Ultrix?
	I will stick my neck out and say VMS, I personally feel that the
	VMS system is better for this particular application and porting.
	And yes I speak both fluently so i know whereof i speak.....

   - will our existing programs (using Datatrieve, BASIC-PLUS-2, FMS,
     FDT) recompile on a uVAX without modification?
	if you run VMS probably with 1-2% modification. BP2 is slightly
	different as is FMS.....but not much.

   - Any suggestions on other hardware/software we should consider?
	as i mentioned:
		1. big disk - kda50/ra81 or qd32/fuji eagle
		2. third party memory - Standard Memories pincomm 630sx
			(ten year warranty...)
		3. at least one TK50 for 'standard' DEC distributions...

Ed Cetron
Center for Engineering Design
Univ. of Utah.....

	(as is always: these is MY views not my employers, friends, romans
		or countrymen...)

	arpa:	cetron%utah-cbd@utah-cs.arpa