[mod.computers.vax] aging files

JOANNE@MCMASTER.BITNET (05/31/86)

I was wondering if anyone out there has the same problem we have and if
a solution has been found for this problem.

The problem is aging files on our disks.  We have files that are a couple
of years old but we don't know if they are still being used or not.
VMS does not mark the file as accessed whenever it is read therefore
we don't know whether to delete it or not.  We are trying to clean up
the disks as best as we can but we seem to have a lot of these files
around.  We could always find the owners and ask them but it would be
time consuming.

If anybody has experience this and has found a solution, I would
appreciate hearing from you.

Thank you in advance for your time,

Joanne Templeton
McMaster University,
Hamilton, Canada

ps. We are running VMS 4.3.
    We have RM05's and RA81's

cetron%utah-cbd@UTAH-CS.ARPA (Ed Cetron) (05/31/86)

	be nasty, back them up to a special save set, warn the users
if you must, and then delete them....if anyone complains bring them
back, if not, leave them on only the special save set in case a year
from now someone needs them.....

	you can always tell the system manager types: the only good
system is one without users!

-ed cetron
Computer systems manager
Center for Engineering Design
Univ. of Utah

	arpa:	cetron%utah-cbd@utah-cs.arpa

	(standard disclaimer)

p.s  - i've done this at least 10 times and NOT ONCE has any complained.

rick@NGP.UTEXAS.EDU (Rick Watson) (05/31/86)

If you set the volume retention time for a volume (SET VOLUME /RETENTION),
then the file expiraton date/time will be updated when the file is
accessed.  See the manual for more detail on when the expiration time
is updated.  There is a trade-off between accuracy and overhead.

Rick Watson
University of Texas Computation Center
 arpa:   rick@ngp.UTEXAS.EDU   rick@ngp.ARPA
 uucp:   ...seismo!ut-sally!ut-ngp!rick   rick@ut-ngp.UUCP
 bitnet: ccaw001@utadnx
 phone:  512/471-3241

campbell@maynard.UUCP (05/31/86)

In article <8605310506.AA05550@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> JOANNE@MCMASTER.BITNET writes:
>The problem is aging files on our disks.  We have files that are a couple
>of years old but we don't know if they are still being used or not.
>VMS does not mark the file as accessed whenever it is read therefore
>we don't know whether to delete it or not.  We are trying to clean up
>the disks as best as we can but we seem to have a lot of these files
>around.  We could always find the owners and ask them but it would be
>time consuming.
>
>Joanne Templeton
>McMaster University,
>Hamilton, Canada

Just protect the files (S,O,G,W) (no access by anyone).  If anyone screams,
you just unprotect the file and they're happy.  After a month or so, you can
delete the files no one's screamed about yet.  If you like to fiddle with
ACLs and security alarms (I don't) you could even do it so they wouldn't
have to scream.  Just put a security alarm on the files in question.  Collect
the alarms and after a month, any file that hasn't been touched is fair game.
--
Larry Campbell                             The Boston Software Works, Inc.
ARPA: campbell%maynard.uucp@harvard.ARPA   120 Fulton Street, Boston MA 02109