[net.sf-lovers] Delaney

sommers@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Mamaliz @ The Soup Kitchen) (08/19/85)

In article <3331@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> dm@BBN-VAX.ARPA writes:

>I think you'll like Delaney if you like to watch words be put together
>in interesting ways.
>Delaney's books are the kind that you read to be reading, where the
>act of reading itself is a pleasure, yet where nothing much really
>happens, and you may not really like the people to whom it's
>happening, anyway...

At last.   As I think I have mentioned before that Chip Delaney is my
favorite science fiction author (if you leave out that Neveryon trash).
Dhalgren is the book I have read the most times in my life, it never fails
to fascinate me.   I find that much happens, but it happens at the pace of
life, how much really happens to you in one week?

>Dahlgren, Nova, and Triton all have this in common, as does ``Stars in
>my pocket like grains of sand.''  Babel-17 is also well written, but
>is rather conventional (it has a plot and hackneyed stuff like that)
>(interesting, all the same, and I suspect it's most likely his most
>approachable book).  I thought ``The Einstein Intersection'' read like
>the first novel it was (nonetheless, not a bad bit of writing for a
>17-year-old kid).

Nova is excellent, a retelling of the Grail.  Triton's major redeeming
quality is that the author could sit and write a book and finish it about
such a selfish a*hole.  Babel-17 is just a story.  The Ballad of Beta-2
(which at least one time was in a double with Empire Star) is one of the
more interesting views of a generation ship (and owes much to Heinlein I
think)  No odd sex in either of those two novellas(ettes).

I enjoyed Empire Star and Einstein quite a lot, seeing the seeds of
Dhalgren in them.

His first novels are also interesting, one is a trilogy whose name escapes
me (has something to do with Towers -- my books are all packed AGAIN) and
the other is a sort of fantastic adventure, with leanings toward Tanith
Lee.  I have not read it in years.

>Not to be missed are Delaney's short-story collections:
>``Drift-glass'' is the name of one, I can't remember the title of the
>other (``Empire Star'' perhaps?).  Most of his short-stories are
>pretty conventional, with plot and interesting characters, and not so
>much Bizarre Sex, yet they retain his wonderful prose.  Good Reads in
>all senses of the words.  Try his stories before you give up on him
>completely.

Especially try Driftglass.  I have never seen anybody put it down once
they picked it up.

>Someone sparked all this by asking if anything ever happened in
>Dahlgren.  Well, yes.  Lots of things happen.  About three or four
>hundred things happen on every page.  Weren't you paying attention?
>Just about every single word in Dahlgren is an event in itself.
>Unfortunately, most of the words don't seem to be describing anything.
>I'm glad you brought it up, though, because since then lots of people
>have mentioned what they saw in the book, and now I'm eager to re-read
>it with these new ideas.
>
>Why do you care that Dahlgren never explains where it's going when the
>mere act of getting there has more in it than you can possibly absorb?

And aren't you smart and imaginative enough to get there yourself?  It
goes, my god it goes.
--
liz sommers

My "best address" will soon be changing to
topaz!mama!liz

but I can still be reached at:
uucp:   ...{seismo, ut-sally,ihnp4!packard}!topaz!sommers
arpa:   sommers@rutgers