[net.sf-lovers] Payment to guests at cons

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (08/08/85)

Just out of curiosity... What is the generally-accepted formula for
paying "star"-type guests at cons, like the actors that have played the
Doctor at Dr. Who cons, or the Star Trek actors at ST cons, or noted
authors at SF cons? Do they get just free room & board and travel
expenses, or are they paid a rate equivalent to what they would get as
actors in a stage production lasting that long (and if so, how are
author's fees determined?), or do the con committees negotiate a fee
with the personalities' agents, or what?

In general terms, do these people attend these cons out of the goodness
of their hearts, or for the publicity value, rather than to make money?
Or do they do it as a job and charge "commercial" rates for their time?

Thanks for info!

Regards,
Will Martin

UUCP/USENET: seismo!brl-bmd!wmartin   or   ARPA/MILNET: wmartin@almsa-1.ARPA

nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) (08/10/85)

The way I understand it, payment of guests varies from con to con.

If a local club decides to try to run a con, the stars will get less
than they'd get from Spirit of Light.  Room and board are both covered
(of course), as is all transportation.  Cons which do not provide this
often turn out to be terrible ones, for many reasons!

Precise figures, I do not know.  Probably around $1000 or so for Colin
Baker, less for companions.  Planning on running one? :-)
--
James C. Armstrong, Jnr.	{ihnp4,cbosgd,akgua}!abnji!nyssa

"If she doesn't scream, the wedding can take place!" Doctor
"Don't I have a say in the matter?" female companion
"Be quiet" Doctor
Which companion, what story?

ariels@orca.UUCP (Ariel Shattan) (08/12/85)

> Just out of curiosity... What is the generally-accepted formula for
> paying "star"-type guests at cons, like the actors that have played the
> Doctor at Dr. Who cons, or the Star Trek actors at ST cons, or noted
> authors at SF cons? Do they get just free room & board and travel
> expenses, or are they paid a rate equivalent to what they would get as
> actors in a stage production lasting that long (and if so, how are
> author's fees determined?), or do the con committees negotiate a fee
> with the personalities' agents, or what?
>
> In general terms, do these people attend these cons out of the goodness
> of their hearts, or for the publicity value, rather than to make money?
> Or do they do it as a job and charge "commercial" rates for their time?
>
> Will Martin

Guests at media cons are often paid appearance fees.  At most SF
cons, the guests of honor get transportation, room, maybe board or a
per diem for themselves and a companion or family.  Authors and
artists who aren't guests of honor may get free membership in the
convention for themselves and maybe a guest or companion. This sort
of thing depends on the policy of the con committee.

Most authors I know go to cons not for publicity or any sense of
altruism, but because they enjoy cons.  They get to get fawned over
by fans, hob-nob with fellow authors, party, make business
connections, and write it all off on their taxes as a business
expense (which it is!).

To get an author at your convention, just write directly to the
author and ask. A few authors will direct enquiries to agents, but
most handle their own corespondence.  I don't know the details of
getting a media personality to a convention because I've never been
on the con-com of a media con.

Ariel (Come to Orycon!) Shattan
..!tektronix!orca!ariels

dmak@watarts.UUCP (Derwin Mak) (08/12/85)

Guest fees are negotiated between con committees and the guest's agents.
As a general rule, cons pay for accomodation, airfare, meals and
entertainment ON TOP OF a public appearance fee (usually ~ $3000).

This makes it very difficult for smaller cons to get guests and is
probably the direct result of some of the mammoth cons held in
a certain city beginning with a C and ending with a O.

webber@utcs.UUCP (R. D. Webber) (08/20/85)

In article <8524@watarts.UUCP> dmak@watarts.UUCP (Derwin Mak) writes:
>Guest fees are negotiated between con committees and the guest's agents.
>As a general rule, cons pay for accomodation, airfare, meals and
>entertainment ON TOP OF a public appearance fee (usually ~ $3000).

Sorry if this doesn't interest you too much, but I near to plotzed when I
read it... This refers to Dr. Who conventions, not necessarily sf cons.
Sf con committees generally end up paying for accomodation, air-or-other-fare
and meals.  Public appearance fees! Gack!