[mod.computers.vax] Favorite O/S

daved@WPAFB-FDL.UUCP (07/03/86)

Bill Bogstad at Hopkins-eecs-bravo.arpa writes:
> 	I actually had to program in FORTRAN (heaven forbid) on VMS and
> had to do the equivalent of a Unix sleep() call.  Sounds reasonable
> right?  Hah!  After spending 3-4 hours wading through the VMS manuals I
> discover that I have to do a "scheduled wakeup" for my process and then
> a "hibernate".  Of course there are optional arguments to both calls
> which I have to decipher.  In addition, I have to call a special routine
> to generate the correct arguement to the wakeup call.  Now, I realize
> that this is somewhat similiar to the internals of the Unix sleep()
> function, but isn't it nicely packaged?  You give it a number and your
> program pauses for the required number of seconds.  Obviously not
> everything is conceptually this easy, but when it is why make it so
> hard to do?  Unix has been termed User unfriendly (with some reason),
> but I think a point can be made for VMS being programmer unfriendly.
>
> 	Finally, yes VMS is a reasonable operating system, but it isn't
> perfect.  I'm not claiming this for Unix either, just that it is a
> little better.
	I am rather new to INFO-VAX and the community of users who are on
it, so bear with me and any mistakes I might make.
	After reading this previous message from Mr. Bogstad it occurred to
me that he went to a lot of trouble for nothing. It is true that the method
he describes for a function that "You give it a number and your program
pauses for the required number of seconds" works. but after checking things
with the LIB$... routines list, at least as of VMS 4.0, there is a function
called LIB$WAIT that does exactly that. Mind you, LIB$WAIT wants an address
pointing to a long word F_floating value passed to it, in fortran that's
normally a REAL*4, which means if he wants to use a literal value in
fortran it would have to be specified as a real (i.e. 4.0).
	Disclaimer: I make no claims to being an expert of UNIX, or VMS.
But it would seem to me that if everyone who makes a statement like, "I
like 'a' over 'b' because I can do 'c' easier on 'a' then on 'b'.", did a
little more detective work in the o/s' manuals they might not make the same
statement again.

David B. Dierker	<DAVED@WPAFB-FDL>
AFWAL/FITC		(Air Force Wright Aero Labs / Flight Dynamics Comp Ser)
WPAFB OH 45433 		(Wright Patterson AFB, Dayton OH)

<VMS is wordy, and UNIX is terse;
 but the real discussion is which is worse.>