Date: Sun 13 Jul 86 13:22:47-PDT
From: Peter Karp <PKARP@SRI-IU.ARPA>
Subject: Re: VMS: open channel info
To: McGuire_Ed%GRINNELL.Mailnet@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
               "  McGuire_Ed%GRINNELL.Mailnet@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA" of   Fri,
               11 Jul 86 17:44

I'm interested in this also.  I thin kit would be nice to simply know
what files another process has open.

Peter
-------
------------------------------

This reminds me that there are two frustratingly limited tools for looking
at open channels, and people might like to know about them.

1. SHOW DEVICE/FILES <disk>

   (Needs privileges:  WORLD to see all other processes, BYPASS to see all
   programs.)  Lists process names, PIDs, and files open on the disk in
   question.

2. SDA> SHOW PROCESS/INDEX=n/CHANNELS

   (SDA is invoked by ANALYZE/SYSTEM.  Needs lots of privileges.)  Lists
   channel number, status, and device.  If it's a disk, you get the file
   ID (not the file name).  You can get the file's name by typing SHOW
   DEVICE/FILES and guessing, or from the disk's index file by using

      DUMP/FILE_HEADER/BLOCK=START:n disk:[0,0]INDEXF.SYS

   The "n" corresponds roughly to the file's index offset in the file ID (so
   that you would start searching for file (1234,5,0) using "n" equal to 1234
   and go forth from there.)  I imagine somebody out there can suggest a more
   accurate way to find the file's header.

What these DON'T tell you is what block or record was most recently read or
written, or anything about the RMS file access method being used.  Under some
conditions, it would also be useful to know what records are locked and by
whom.

ZRPLIB3@DTUZDV5A.BITNET (Christoph D. Gatzka) (07/16/86)

You may also use the

SDA> SET PROCESS/INDEX=...