[net.sf-lovers] Night Gallery

4CCVAX..PDUQUETTE@ymir.UUCP (08/07/85)

From: Will Duquette <engvax!ymir!4CCVAX..PDUQUETTE@cit-vax>

>The one movie/TV induced fear that I can honestly say scared the
>hell out of me came from "Night Gallery." the storyline involved a
>grotesque little doll that belonged to a little girl. I can barely
>remember the story, but it dealt with the parents trying to get rid
>of the doll, and it would show up in strange places after the
>attempt.

Actually, this was an episode of the Twilight Zone starring Telly Savalas
(bald even then) as the little girl's father.  The doll (and also, I
think, the episode) was named "Talking Tina".  When the string was pulled
it was supposed to say "My name is Talking Tina, and I love you!"  Despite
its warm and friendly nature, Savalas didn't much care for it, and said so
quite vocally.

<<SPOILER, if anybody cares about spoiling a TV show that's 20 or so years
  old.........>>

Well, this doll had an annoying habit of always being underfoot--like at the
top of the stairs, in just the right position to send Telly Savalas into the
middle of next week....  And furthermore, it became clear that the little
girl wasn't leaving it there.  Meanwhile, it begans to speak to Telly of
its own accord (look, Ma, no string!):  "My name is Talking Tina, and I
HATE you!"

Surprised, but undaunted, Telly proceeds to try various methods of destroying
it, from simply throwing it away to melting it with a blowtorch.  Nothing
works.  And Talking Tina is now saying, "My name is Talking Tina, and I am
going to KILL you!"

I forget exactly how it ended, but it was suitably grisly...

						Will Duquette

jim@kovacs.UUCP (jim) (08/12/85)

>> From: Will Duquette <engvax!ymir!4CCVAX..PDUQUETTE@cit-vax>

>> The one movie/TV induced fear that I can honestly say scared the
>> hell out of me came from "Night Gallery." the storyline involved a
>> grotesque little doll that belonged to a little girl....

> Actually, this was an episode of the Twilight Zone starring Telly Savalas
> (bald even then) as the little girl's father.  The doll (and also, I
> think, the episode) was named "Talking Tina"...

The Twilight Zone title is "Living Doll". The doll, "Talky Tina", only
threatens Erich Streator (Savalas) when no one else is around. When he
throws the doll in the garbage for the first time, it escapes and phones
him with a death threat. He tries to burn the doll, then tries to saw off
its head; both attempts fail. The wife, Annabelle, thinking poor Erich has
lost his mind, plans to take her daughter Christie and leave him. Erich, who
now thinks maybe he *is* going insane, decides to give the doll back to his
step-daughter. But late that night, he trips on the doll and falls down the
stairs to his death. The ending: Annabelle rushes to him and then picks up
the doll. It says: "My name is Talky Tina, *and you'd better be nice to me!*"

PS. - The voice of "Talky Tina" was that of June Foray, who also did
      "Rocky the Flying Squirrel".

-Jim-

kim@mips.UUCP (Kim Devaughn) (08/22/85)

> >> The one movie/TV induced fear that I can honestly say scared the
> >> hell out of me came from "Night Gallery." the storyline involved a
> >> grotesque little doll that belonged to a little girl....
>
> stairs to his death. The ending: Annabelle rushes to him and then picks up
> the doll. It says: "My name is Talky Tina, *and you'd better be nice to me!*"

As I recall, Talky Tina said, "and you'd _BETTER_ be nice to me!"   I know
I sure would.  Also, wasn't the little girl (Telley's daughter) somewhat of
a "tough littly lady?"

/kim