[mod.computers.vax] Inquire/for 10 seconds only

McGuire_Ed@GRINNELL.MAILNET.UUCP (07/31/86)

>Date: Tue, 29 Jul 86 17:24:15 pdt
>From: Peter Stokes <stokes%cmc.cdn%ubc.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>
>Subject: "Inquire/for 10 seconds only"
>
>I would like to add a line or two to our systartup.com that
>would ask the user if he wanted a test boot only.  If he
>answered yes, logins would be set to zero and no "system up"
>announcement would be made.  If no answer was typed in, the
>question would time-out in a given amount of time like 10
>seconds for example.  Anybody know a quick and dirty way to
>do this ??  I.E.  INQUIRE/TIMEOUT=00:10 ??

Yes, there is a way to do that.  The startup procedure runs as a batch
process with input STARTUP.COM and output OPA0:.  What you can do is
assign a second channel to OPA0: and query the user with a timeout:

 $!+
 $! Find out if operator wants to bring up single-user mode.
 $!-
 $ OPEN/READ CONSOLE _OPA0:
 $ READ/TIME_OUT=10/ERROR=MULTIUSER/PROMPT="Single user? " CONSOLE SINGLE
 $ IF .NOT. SINGLE THEN $ GOTO MULTIUSER
 $!+
 $! Operator wants system up in single-user mode.
 $!-
 $ CLOSE CONSOLE
 $  .
 $  .
 $  .
 $ EXIT
 $!+
 $! Operator wants system up for timesharing, or did not respond to question.
 $!-
 $MULTIUSER:
 $ CLOSE CONSOLE
 $  .
 $  .
 $  .
 $ EXIT

This should give you the idea, anyway.  Hope it helps!