[mod.computers.vax] DECnet task-to-tasking between Ultrix & VMS

MACPHEDR@SASK.BITNET (07/26/86)

Hi!

I have been playing with DECnet task-to-task communication between
DECnet-VAX and DECnet-Ultrix, and have run into a few problems. I
was wondering if anyone out there can set me on a straighter path.

Ultrix to VAX seems to work somewhat. Using the c function:
dnet_conn("vmsnod/user/passw","remfil p1 p2",0,0,0,0,0,0)
will open the file VMSNOD::REMFIL.COM in sys$login and pass the two
parameters. I am having some problems sending information across
to the VMS machine and back via SYS$NET and the Ultrix socket, but
I think this can be gotten around.

However, VAX to Ultrix won't work at all. The FORTRAN open statement

OPEN(UNIT=10,FILE='ULTNOD"user passw"::"TASK=remfil")
returns:

 %FOR-F-OPEFAI, open failure
   unit 10  file ULTNOD"user password"::"TASK=remfil"
   user PC 00000611
 -RMS-E-CRE, ACP file create failed
 -SYSTEM-F-NOSUCHOBJ, network object is unknown at remote node

and
OPEN(UNIT=10,FILE='ULTNOD"user passw"::"remfil")
returns:

 %FOR-F-OPEFAI, open failure
   unit 10  file ULTNOD"user password"::"remfil"
   user PC 00000611
 -RMS-F-SUPPORT, network operation not supported
 -FAL-F-RAT, record attributes field rejected

In other works, VMS TASK is not supported under Ultrix, and the Ultrix
default isn't supported under VMS. Is there any way to get around, under
or through this?

Ian.
Ian MacPhedran,               |  NetNorth(BITNET): MacPhedran@sask
2B13 Engineering Bldg.,       |
University of Saskatchewan,   |  USEnet: ihnp4!sask!macphed
Saskatoon, Sask.              |
S7N 0W0                       |

carl@CITHEX.CALTECH.EDU (Carl J Lydick) (07/26/86)

>   However, VAX to Ultrix won't work at all. The FORTRAN open statement
>
>   OPEN(UNIT=10,FILE='ULTNOD"user passw"::"TASK=remfil")
>   returns:
>
>    %FOR-F-OPEFAI, open failure
>      unit 10  file ULTNOD"user password"::"TASK=remfil"
>      user PC 00000611
>    -RMS-E-CRE, ACP file create failed
>    -SYSTEM-F-NOSUCHOBJ, network object is unknown at remote node
>
>   and
>   OPEN(UNIT=10,FILE='ULTNOD"user passw"::"remfil")
>   returns:
>
>    %FOR-F-OPEFAI, open failure
>      unit 10  file ULTNOD"user password"::"remfil"
>      user PC 00000611
>    -RMS-F-SUPPORT, network operation not supported
>    -FAL-F-RAT, record attributes field rejected
>
>    In other works, VMS TASK is not supported under Ultrix, and the Ultrix
>    default isn't supported under VMS. Is there any way to get around, under
>    or through this?

I suspect that the problem is that you're misinterpreting both error messages,
and therefore not taking appropriate action in response.  First, be aware
that VMS doesn't believe in lowercase filenames;  That means, for a VMS
machine, that by the time the remote task is set up, the name of the task
has been converted to uppercase, and I suspect that this happens on the
local, not the remote, node.  If this is the case, and if the name of the
task on the ULTRIX node contains lowercase characters, then when the message
says "network object is unknown at remote node", the task it is referring
to is "remfil", not TASK".  The solution in this case would be to rename
"remfil" to "REMFIL" on the ULTRIX node.  Similarly, for the second error
message, I suspect that the reason RMS is complaining is that "remfil" has
the executable bit set on the ULTRIX node.  Note that you were not talking
to "the Ultrix default", whatever the hell you meant by that;  you were
talking to FAL, the File Access Listener, on the Ultrix node, and the complaint
is that there's something in the way the file on the Ultrix node is set
up that makes it impossible to make a "reasonable" copy of it on a VMS system.
At any rate, the fact that you can't copy whatever file "remfil" might be
to the VMS system is probably unrelated to your inability to execute the
task.  Oh, by the way, another solution to the first problem MIGHT be
to use the task specification "TASK=""remfil""".  This should force it to
preserve lowercase;  VMS doesn't like it, but it's the remote node that
objects, so presumably the extra quotes are working.

aef@hdsvx1.UUCP.UUCP (08/01/86)

In a recent submission, Ian MacPhedran (MacPhedran@sask.bitnet) writes:

>I have been playing with DECnet task-to-task communication between
>DECnet-VAX and DECnet-Ultrix, and have run into a few problems. I
>was wondering if anyone out there can set me on a straighter path.
>
>Ultrix to VAX seems to work somewhat. Using the c function:
>dnet_conn("vmsnod/user/passw","remfil p1 p2",0,0,0,0,0,0)
>will open the file VMSNOD::REMFIL.COM in sys$login and pass the two
>parameters. I am having some problems sending information across
>to the VMS machine and back via SYS$NET and the Ultrix socket, but
>I think this can be gotten around.
>
>However, VAX to Ultrix won't work at all. The FORTRAN open statement
>
>OPEN(UNIT=10,FILE='ULTNOD"user passw"::"TASK=remfil")
>returns:
>
> %FOR-F-OPEFAI, open failure
>   unit 10  file ULTNOD"user password"::"TASK=remfil"
>   user PC 00000611
> -RMS-E-CRE, ACP file create failed
> -SYSTEM-F-NOSUCHOBJ, network object is unknown at remote node
>
>and
>OPEN(UNIT=10,FILE='ULTNOD"user passw"::"remfil")
>returns:
>
> %FOR-F-OPEFAI, open failure
>   unit 10  file ULTNOD"user password"::"remfil"
>   user PC 00000611
> -RMS-F-SUPPORT, network operation not supported
> -FAL-F-RAT, record attributes field rejected
>
>In other works, VMS TASK is not supported under Ultrix, and the Ultrix
>default isn't supported under VMS. Is there any way to get around, under
>or through this?
>
>Ian.

The problem is that the DECnet environment on Ultrix with regard to
TASK's is undocumented.  It turns out that it is similar to VMS's but
with extra restrictions.  A typical example that works is as follows:

The object named must be the name of an Ultrix file in the default
directory of the host/user/password specified in the DECnet access
information.  The file must be either a real executable or a shell script
using the #! syntax.  Apparently, DECnet/Ultrix does an "exec" on the
file and it must meet the same requirements as exec does.  In addition,
the filename must be in ALL UPPER CASE!  For this example the
file HELLO on the Ultrix node contains:

	#!/bin/sh
	echo "hello world"

On the VAX/VMS node, you can use a FORTRAN program of the form:

		character*1 line(80)
		open(unit=7,file='ultrix::"0=hello"',status='old')
	1	read(7,100,end=99)line
		write(6,101)line
		goto 1
	100	format(80a1)
	101	format(1x,80a1)
	99	stop
		end

An even simpler way to do this is the command:

	$ type ultrix::"0=hello"

Both get the output

	hello world

Now my problem is trying to both read and write off the DECnet
connection on Ultrix.  Any ideas here?

Art Feather, Schlumberger-HDS, Houston TX

UUCP:  {rice, ihnp4, spar, applicon}!hdsvx1!aef
CSNET: aef%hdsvx1@slb-doll.csnet	hdsvx1!aef@rice.edu
ARPA:  aef%hdsvx1%slb-doll.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa