[net.sf-lovers] Bring on the Aliens

Jamie.Zawinski@CMU-CS-SPICE.ARPA (08/15/85)

From: Jamie.Zawinski@CMU-CS-SPICE

There's a short story by Arthur Clarke (don't remember what it's called, but
I think it's in SENTINEL) which suggests that the reason that we haven't
been contacted yet is that we evolved so durn fast!

		****** SPOILER SPOILER ******
It is told from the aliens' point of view.  It seems that a research team of
a multi-species civilization was observing a star which showed signs of being
about to nova, whenf they detected radio signals.They were quite shocked,
because  an expedition had been there a scant hundred million years before,
and it was unprecedented that sentience coulddevelop in such a short time.

The star was going to go blooie real soon, so they sent out a rescue team to
save as many of the humans as possible. The aliens found the planet deserted.
The cities had been left intact, with all sorts of broadcasting equipment set
up to observe the nova firsthand.  The aliens looked in the direction that the
signals were being sent, and saw many ships receeding at *sub-light*
velocities with *reaction* thrusters!  The rescue team set out in the
direction of this spunky little species, and one said to another "What if
they don't like our little empire?  I mean, we only outnumber them by a few
billion to one."  The other laughed, but (classic line) "twenty years later,
it didn't seem all that funny."

GREAT story!

			--Jamie
			  jwz@cmu-cs-spice

> There's a short story by Arthur Clarke (don't remember what it's called, but
> I think it's in SENTINEL) which suggests that the reason that we haven't
> been contacted yet is that we evolved so durn fast!

		*** SPOILER FOR "RESCUE PARTY" STORY ***

     I have  it in  the  NINE BILLION  NAMES  OF GOD collection.  It  is
called RESCUE PARTY and is indeed a good story.  By the way,  this story
also belongs in the discussion which was going on  recently about  group
minds  in SF.  The  Paladorians are one of  the  more interesting  group
minds I've read of.

     "....and on  two  historic occaisons the billions  of cells of  the
entire Paladorian consciousness had  been  welded together to deal  with
emergencies that threatened the race."
--
					der Mouse

{ihnp4,decvax,akgua,etc}!utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse
philabs!micomvax!musocs!mcgill-vision!mouse

Hacker: One responsible for destroying /
Wizard: One responsible for recovering it afterward

wjr@x.UUCP (Bill Richard) (08/23/85)

In article <3282@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> Jamie.Zawinski@CMU-CS-SPICE.ARPA writes:

>There's a short story by Arthur Clarke (don't remember what it's called, but
>I think it's in SENTINEL) which suggests that the reason that we haven't
>been contacted yet is that we evolved so durn fast!

	I belive the story is titled "Rescue Party".

>GREAT story!
>			--Jamie
	Agreed.

--