[mod.computers.vax] SYS$SYSDISK

gwalker@SPCA.BBN.COM.UUCP (08/03/86)

sys$sysdisk - the history.
[Surely I'm not the only one on this list who has been using
VMS since before V3! ]
I'm not sure to what extent sys$sysdisk is really used now, in vms,
but I can tell you what it originally was (in vms 2).
sys$sysdisk WAS the disk that the system files were on. We didn't
have [SYS0.],etc then at all. There didn't used to be either a
sys$sysdevice OR a sys$sysroot. When VMS 3 came along, and putting
the system files into roots like [SYS0.] started, DEC defined 2
new logicals, sys$sysdevice and sys$sysroot. They then suggested
that one define sys$sysdisk to be whichever of those 2 made things
work best on your machine. (The idea was for migration - people
were supposed to stop using sys$sysdisk and use whichever of the
other 2 were appropriate for their application.)

The software package that you received that uses sys$sysdisk may
be originally from pre-vms 3 days. I believe, though have no
proof, that DEC software (and most others) do not use sys$sysdisk
anymore so you should be free to define it to be whichever makes that
software run. (If I remember the messages correctly, I think
you want sys$sysroot). I don't know if clusters actually USE sys$sysdisk
for anything.

-- Gail Walker
gwalker@bbn-spca

McGuire_Ed@GRINNELL.MAILNET (08/06/86)

>Date:     Sun, 3 Aug 86 7:04:24 EDT
>From:     Gail Rubin Walker <gwalker@spca.bbn.com>
>Subject:  sys$sysdisk
>
>... When VMS 3 came along, and putting
>the system files into roots like [SYS0.] started, DEC defined 2
>new logicals, sys$sysdevice and sys$sysroot. They then suggested
>that one define sys$sysdisk to be whichever of those 2 made things
>work best on your machine. (The idea was for migration - people
>were supposed to stop using sys$sysdisk and use whichever of the
>other 2 were appropriate for their application.)
>
>... I believe, though have no
>proof, that DEC software (and most others) do not use sys$sysdisk
>anymore so you should be free to define it to be whichever makes that
>software run. ... I don't know if clusters actually USE sys$sysdisk
>for anything.

SYS$SYSDISK is defined in STARTUP.COM as SYS$SYSROOT, independent of
whether one is running a cluster or not.  Based on that information and on
your enlightening history, my final comments are:

-  It is awfully strange that it would be missing from someone's system
   unless they modified STARTUP.COM (naughty, naughty) or removed it
   themselves.

-  Even though DEC probably doesn't use it, some older software products
   probably do use it, so I'm not going to remove it from MY system.  Since
   I can't find documentation on this migration path in the V4 doc set,
   I'm not going to redefine it either.