[mod.computers.vax] uvax floppies

Ad0r@TE.CC.CMU.EDU (Uli Jon Roth) (08/16/86)

As far as I can tell, the drives in a uvax II are the standard rx50's --
high density, single sided.  I've seen Verbatim floppys of the same sort
for sale; there are probably others too.  I seem to remember that when the
Rainbow first came out there wasn't a format program, but that one appeared
later.  Can't vouche for that, though, since I've never dealt with Rainbows
that much.  I've heard of people formatting disks on a Rainbow and using
them on uvaxes, though.  If you really want to, you could use the double
sided, high density floppies, ie., ones for an AT/RT drive just fine, since
they're certified for the same density, and on both sides too.  I don't
know about the possibilities of flippys, though.

Fly to the sky on GI-GI_________ and shout to
-------

art@MITRE.ARPA (Art McClinton) (08/18/86)

I use single or double sided floppies double density floppies in my rainbow.
We use a rainbow to format floppies for the micro vax.  DEC claims that hub
rings cause problems but to date have had no problems with hub rings.  Latest
batch of floppies were 29 cents per floppy (quantity 100) from some where in
Ohio.  No problems.  To format them on the microvax requires a program that DEC
only provides with the onsite maintenance programs (extra money)

- Arthur T. McClinton Jr., (703) 883-6356
   The MITRE Corporation, Mail Stop Z305
   1820 Dolley Madison Blvd.
   McLean, VA   22102

ted@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA (08/19/86)

In a  lab  I used to  work in we had an  11/73 with the  same  type of
floppies.  We used non-DEC floppies formatted on a Rainbow  and had no
problems  at  all with the disks.   If you can find a  Rainbow and the
formatting program, give it a shot.

					--ted
Ted Ede
ted@mitre-bedford.arpa

campbell@maynard.UUCP (08/23/86)

In article <8608181212.AA20234@mitre-bedford.ARPA> ted@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA writes:
>In a  lab  I used to  work in we had an  11/73 with the  same  type of
>floppies.  We used non-DEC floppies formatted on a Rainbow  and had no
>problems  at  all with the disks.   If you can find a  Rainbow and the
>formatting program, give it a shot.

"Finding" the formatting program shouldn't be hard -- it's on the MS-DOS
distribution diskette.  No, in the bad old days of DOS 2.01 it wasn't
included, but DEC was quickly flamed into submission and included it on
the 2.05 and 2.11 distributions.  If you only have 2.01 you should upgrade
for lots of other reasons too -- the 2.01 BIOS stinks.  If you have a Rainbow
under maintenance DEC will send you the latest version of DOS for the asking.
--
Larry Campbell                             The Boston Software Works, Inc.
ARPA: campbell%maynard.uucp@harvard.ARPA   120 Fulton Street, Boston MA 02109

8250480@UWAV4.BITNET (09/15/86)

> Date: Sat, 23 Aug 86 10:27:05 EDT
> From: campbell%maynard.UUCP@harvisr.HARVARD.EDU
> Subject: Re: uvax floppies
> Apparently-To: info-vax@sri-kl.arpa
>
> In article <8608181212.AA20234@mitre-bedford.ARPA> ted@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA
> writes:
> >In a  lab  I used to  work in we had an  11/73 with the  same  type of
> >floppies.  We used non-DEC floppies formatted on a Rainbow  and had no
> >problems  at  all with the disks.   If you can find a  Rainbow and the
> >formatting program, give it a shot.
>
> "Finding" the formatting program shouldn't be hard -- it's on the MS-DOS
> distribution diskette.  No, in the bad old days of DOS 2.01 it wasn't
> included, but DEC was quickly flamed into submission and included it on
> the 2.05 and 2.11 distributions.  If you only have 2.01 you should upgrade
> for lots of other reasons too -- the 2.01 BIOS stinks.  If you have a Rainbow
> under maintenance DEC will send you the latest version of DOS for the asking.

As I understand it, the Rainbow MS-DOS format program will NOT produce
RX50's.  You need to use the Rainbow CP/M format utility.  It is supplied
with CP/M V2.10 (I don't know about previous versions).  With this program
you can "make" RX50's from any (soft-sectored) SS-DD diskette.  You can
use DS-DD disks, but the second side will not by used by DEC equipment.
DEC recommends you use disks without hub-rings; though I haven't had any
problems (yet) with hub-rings.

-- Erik A. Abers                        -- 501 N. 36th. St. #167
-- University of Washington             -- Seattle, WA 98103; USA

Bitnet:  8250480@UWAV4.BITNET
Arpanet: 8250480%UWAV4.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA
Usenet:  8250480%UWAV4.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU