[mod.computers.vax] Rabbit-5

TIHOR@NYU-CMCL1.ARPA (Stephen Tihor) (01/19/86)

When last I spoke to someone technical from Raxco (previous DEXPO) they
admitted that RABBIT-5 was comperable in speed and protections to BACKUP
running with no CRC and no XOR blocks.  (I.e. /NOCRC/GROUP=0 )

Whoopee.

 \\   Stephen Tihor / CIMS / NYU / 251 Mercer Street  / New York, NY 10012  //
((  DEC Enet: RHEA::DECWRL::"""TIHOR@NYU-CMCL1.ARPA"""  NYUnet: TIHOR.CMCL1  ))
 // ARPAnet: Tihor@NYU-CMCL1   UUCPnet address: ...!ihnp4!cmcl2!cmcl1!tihor \\

-------

$ABS@CLVMS.BITNET (AB Stine) (09/11/86)

Has anyone had any experience with the fast backup program from Raxco called
Rabbit-5? We are looking into expanding our facilities and from the
info I have seen, Rabbit-5 looks ALOT better than BACKUP.

Art Stine
Systems Programmer
ERC
Clarkson University
Potsdam, NY 13676
(315)268-2292

Bitnet: ABSTINE@CLVMS

McGuire_Ed@GRINNELL.MAILNET (09/15/86)

*** Sorry, it got away from me the first time... ***

>Date:     Thu, 11 Sep 86 11:36 EDT
>From: AB Stine <$ABS%CLVMS.BITNET@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>
>Subject:  Rabbit-5
>To: info-vax@sri-kl.arpa

>Has anyone had any experience with the fast backup program from Raxco called
>Rabbit-5? We are looking into expanding our facilities and from the
>info I have seen, Rabbit-5 looks ALOT better than BACKUP.

Rabbit-5 is certainly FASTER than VMS BACKUP.  In fact, it also uses less tape
than VMS BACKUP.  This is because Rabbit-5 does not compute CRC or write
redundancy blocks on the tape.

You can also make VMS BACKUP run just as fast by using /NOCRC/GROUPS=0 (I think
that's right).  Boy does it go fast.

However!  Backup speed is secondary to the real goal, which is a reliable
backup of the data.  I would never use a product such as Rabbit-5 for my
backups, just as I would never turn off VAX BACKUP's redundancy features.  This
is because tapes just are not reliable enough for our needs without these
special features.

But if I did want to run a "quickie" backup, I would still use VAX BACKUP and
turn off CRC and redundancy blocks, rather than buying a separate product.