[net.sf-lovers] Decline and fall of the StarWars Empire

feather@isi-vaxa (08/06/85)

From: Feather@ISIF

The sad decline of the capabilities of the
empire stormtroopers (contrast their effective
capture of the ship containing Princess L. at
the start of SW with their inability to overcome
a bunch of dwarf teddy bears at the end of RotJ)
must surely be due to the same ecological disaster
that lead to the decline and fall of the Roman
Empire, namely lead plumbing (only here it
was not only the leaders, but also the troops).

Martin S. Feather

iwm@icdoc.UUCP (Ian Moor) (08/16/85)

In article <3140@topaz.ARPA> feather@isi-vaxa writes:
>The sad decline of the capabilities of the
>empire stormtroopers
>must surely be due to the same ecological disaster
>that lead to the decline and fall of the Roman
>Empire, namely lead plumbing (only here it
>was not only the leaders, but also the troops).

Surely it is more likely that the plastic armour
gives off a low level of solvent causing brain damage

--
Ian W Moor
                                   The squire on the hippopotamus is equal

davidk@dartvax.UUCP (David C. Kovar) (08/19/85)

>>The sad decline of the capabilities of the
>>empire stormtroopers
>>must surely be due to the same ecological disaster
>>that lead to the decline and fall of the Roman
>>Empire, namely lead plumbing (only here it
>>was not only the leaders, but also the troops).

>Surely it is more likely that the plastic armour
>gives off a low level of solvent causing brain damage

I was more of the opinion that the plastic armour did nothing to protect
them and that they tended to do more damage to the surrounding environment
than they did to the people (things, animals, etc) attacking them.

On this silly subject, what did the armour in Star Wars ever do? All I
can recall is that it provided comm facilities, blast protection for
the eyes, and looked funky. Did any armour *ever* turn a shot? What's
the point of wearing the stuff? Oh yea, it may have also served as a
vacuum suit. (wirrrrrrrrrrrrr, as it cleans the hallways of the Death
Star....)

--
David C. Kovar
	    USNET:      {linus|decvax|cornell|astrovax}!dartvax!davidk%amber

"I felt like a punk who'd gone out for a switchblade and come back
 with a tactical nuke.

 'Shit', I thought. 'Screwed again. What good's a tactical nuke in a
  street fight?'"
			"Burning Chrome" by William Gibson

jsc@sun.uucp (James Carrington) (08/20/85)

>On this silly subject, what did the armour in Star Wars ever do? All I
>can recall is that it provided comm facilities, blast protection for
>the eyes, and looked funky. Did any armour *ever* turn a shot? What's

If you look carefully, or have the aid of a slo-mo button on your vcr, you
can see a shot bounce off the helmets of two Rebel defenders aboard Leia's
courier ship, before ricocheting into a wall in SW I (or IV, actually).
That's the only instance I know off, and note that it happens with the
/lightly\ armored rebels, not the almost-encased imperials.

--
James Carrington				Sun Microsystems Inc.
Associate Engineer (Co-op Student, UCBerkeley)	2550 Garcia Ave. MS1-40

elric@proper.UUCP (elric) (08/25/85)

In article <> davidk@dartvax.UUCP (David C. Kovar) writes:

>>Surely it is more likely that the plastic armour
>>gives off a low level of solvent causing brain damage
>
>I was more of the opinion that the plastic armour did nothing to protect
>them and that they tended to do more damage to the surrounding environment
>than they did to the people (things, animals, etc) attacking them.
>
>On this silly subject, what did the armour in Star Wars ever do? All I
>can recall is that it provided comm facilities, blast protection for
>the eyes, and looked funky. Did any armour *ever* turn a shot? What's
>the point of wearing the stuff? Oh yea, it may have also served as a
>vacuum suit. (wirrrrrrrrrrrrr, as it cleans the hallways of the Death
>Star....)
>
>David C. Kovar
>	    USNET:      {linus|decvax|cornell|astrovax}!dartvax!davidk%amber
>	    ARPA:	davidk%amber%dartmouth@csnet-relay
>	    CSNET:	davidk%amber@dartmouth

  Well, the disign of the armor appears to be Ablat armor. In theory the armor
vaporizes when hit and carries away
the enegry of the laser. (The armor
becomes less effective after each it).
 But in truth, the Stormtroppers are
cannon fodder and the real purpose of
the suits is so you can tell goods guys
from bad guys...
   Elric
(Only imperial storm troopers could be so accurate....)