[mod.computers.vax] VMS Automatic Terminal Login

A105@UWOCC1.BITNET (Brent Sterner) (09/12/86)

   This may sound a bit silly, but we have some applications for our
VAX that could use an automatic logon facility.  For example, a secure
line to our phone system switchboard office might allow our operators
to just turn on their terminal, type a <return> or two, and be
automatically logged on their account.  (From there the LOGIN.COM for
the account could start up the database program they require.)
   Is there such a facility in VMS?  TOPS-10 provides the base for this
throught INITIA, which runs on every line as connections occur.  Any
suggestions?

Brent Sterner
Computing & Communications Services
Natural Sciences Building
The University of Western Ontario
London, Ontario, Canada
N6A 5B7
Telephone (519)661-2151 x6036
Network   <A105@UWOCC1.BITNET>

Tli@USC-ECLC.ARPA (Tony Li) (09/14/86)

VMS now provides an automatic login facility (starting with V4).  See
sys$manager:alfmaint.com...

;-)

kfield@J.BBN.COM (Ken Field) (09/15/86)

       This may sound a bit silly, but we have some applications for our
    VAX that could use an automatic logon facility.  For example, a secure
    line to our phone system switchboard office might allow our operators
    to just turn on their terminal, type a <return> or two, and be
    automatically logged on their account.  (From there the LOGIN.COM for
    the account could start up the database program they require.)
       Is there such a facility in VMS?  TOPS-10 provides the base for this
    throught INITIA, which runs on every line as connections occur.  Any
    suggestions?

I'm not sure that it exists on regular VMS, but MicroVMS 4.2
includes an Automatic Login File (ALF) that lists physical terminal
line names and associated user names that are automatically logged in
when the terminal line is activated.  There is a .com file called
ALFMAINT that is used to maintain this file.

-Ken Field

cetron@UTAH-CS.ARPA (Edward J Cetron) (09/15/86)

In article <8609140038.AA11342@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> A105@UWOCC1.BITNET (Brent Sterner) writes:

>   This may sound a bit silly, but we have some applications for our
>VAX that could use an automatic logon facility.  For example, a secure
>line to our phone system switchboard office might allow our operators
>to just turn on their terminal, type a <return> or two, and be
>automatically logged on their account.  (From there the LOGIN.COM for
>the account could start up the database program they require.)

	I am not sure about VMS proper (I don't have any easy to check on)
but my MicroVMS machines have a file call the automatic login file... the
interface is through a command file sys$manager:alfmaint  and it does
exactly what you want...the documentation starts on page 2-7 of the MicroVMS
4.4 Users Manual Part I.

-ed

McGuire_Ed@GRINNELL.MAILNET (09/15/86)

>Date:         Fri, 12 Sep 1986 14:10 EDT
>From:           Brent Sterner  <A105%UWOCC1.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
>Subject:      VMS Automatic Terminal Login
>To: INFO-VAX-SUBMIT <info-vax@sri-KL.ARPA>
>
>   This may sound a bit silly, but we have some applications for our
>VAX that could use an automatic logon facility.  For example, a secure
>line to our phone system switchboard office might allow our operators
>to just turn on their terminal, type a <return> or two, and be
>automatically logged on their account.  (From there the LOGIN.COM for
>automatically logged on their account.  (From there the LOGIN.COM for
>the account could start up the database program they require.)
>   Is there such a facility in VMS?  TOPS-10 provides the base for this
>throught INITIA, which runs on every line as connections occur.  Any
>suggestions?

There is an auto logon facility in VMS.  The program SYS$MANAGER:ALFMAINT.COM
maintains a file called SYS$SYSTEM:SYSALF.DAT, which contains terminal ids
and associated usernames.  LOGINOUT looks at SYSALF and does the dirty work.
I do not know where (or whether) it is documented.

JMS@ARIZMIS.BITNET (Joel Headroom) (09/18/86)

Yes, VMS has had this since Version 2.0 of VMS.  In fact, it's now
supported in such a way that MicroVAX systems are shipped so that
all terminals auto login to USER.

The key is a file in sys$system: called sysalf.dat.  There's a command
procedure, either in SYS$MANAGER or SYS$EXAMPLES that maintains
this file as of V4.x of VMS.  Look for *ALF* to find it.

The key to the ALF file is that it is an ISAM file which contains
TTY/username pairs.  When LOGINOUT runs, if it finds the TTY
in the ALF file, it automagically logs that person into that
username.

+-------------------------------+
| Joel M Snyder                 |             BITNET: jms@arizmis.BITNET
| Univ of Arizona Dep't of MIS  |           ArizoNET: MRSVAX::JMS
| Tucson, Arizona 85721         |    Pseudo-PhoneNET: (602) 621-2748
+-------------------------------+
(std. disclaimer in re: nobody taking anything I say seriously)
--*> "Wherever you go ... there you are."  -- Buckaroo Bonzai <*--

SYSTEM@CRNLNS.BITNET (09/18/86)

Brent,

Your application isn't silly at all. We do the same thing for our
Stock-Room Signout terminals: you can't expect someone "wandering in
off the street" to understand how to login to the right account in
order to start up the appropriate application program after the system
crashed in the middle of the night.

The documentation for the auto-login facility is in the
_Guide_to_VAX/VMS_System_Security_ manual (AA-Y510A-TE), chapter
5.2.9, "Using the Automatic Login Facility", ppg 5-43, et seq.
(It's one of the small volumes, not one of the standard size
reference manuals.)

Selden E. Ball, Jr.

Cornell University                 NYNEX: (607) 255-0688
Laboratory of Nuclear Studies     BITNET: SYSTEM@CRNLNS
Wilson Synchrotron Lab              ARPA: SYSTEM%CRNLNS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Judd Falls & Dryden Road          PHYSnet/HEPnet/SPAN:
Ithaca, NY  14853                  LNS61::SYSTEM = 44283::SYSTEM (node 43.251)

wilkinsn@SPCA.BBN.COM (Ronald Wilkinson) (09/19/86)

The automatic terminal login facility controlled by SYS$SYSTEM:SYSALF.DAT has
been around at least since VMS version 3.  The only place I ever saw it
documented was in a DSM (Digital Standard MUMPS) Programmer's Guide.  MUMPS is
a relatively obscure language used mostly for medical applications.  Its
traditional environment (hospital information systems) is one in which
auto-logins are extremely useful.  I believe that is why VMS automatic logins
were documented in the MUMPS programmer's guide.  I do not know why it was not
(and is still not?) documented in the VMS system manager's guide.

Ronald Wilkinson
Software Development
BBN Software Products Corp.
10 Fawcett Street
Cambridge, MA 02238

ARPA: wilkinsn.spca.bbn.com
Phone: (617) 497-8105

LEICHTER-JERRY@YALE.ARPA (09/21/86)

       This may sound a bit silly, but we have some applications for our
    VAX that could use an automatic logon facility.  For example, a secure
    line to our phone system switchboard office might allow our operators
    to just turn on their terminal, type a <return> or two, and be
    automatically logged on their account.  (From there the LOGIN.COM for
    the account could start up the database program they require.)
       Is there such a facility in VMS?  TOPS-10 provides the base for this
    throught INITIA, which runs on every line as connections occur.  Any
    suggestions?
VMS has such a facility built in.  Take a look at SYS$MANAGER:ALFMAINT.COM.

							-- Jerry
-------