[net.sf-lovers] What to do when the aliens arrive.

JWHITE%MAINE.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA (08/15/85)

From: JWHITE%MAINE.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA  (Jim White)

When the first creature from another planet first sets foot, (tenticle,
pod, or whatever it may 'set'), on Earth, if it is within our power to do
so, we should kill it and eat it.

E.T. and Close encounters of the Third Kind aside, real extra terrestrials
are unlikely to be so kind and benevolent. A space faring race of beings
would be way ahead of us technologically. Being the case, and assuming a
continued interaction of two cultures that are many orders of magnitude
removed from each other technologically, the less advanced race, (us)
would undoubtedly suffer a wide spread collapse of sociological coherance.

Consider the cases on Earth that, during the colonial era of 70 to 200
years ago, left advanced western/european societies imposing many of
their cultural norms on the countries/areas they occupied. The American
Indian, Australian Aboriginal and much of Black Africa today still
suffers from the colonial period. Their loosely organized societies were
unable to stand up to the much more structured cultures of the colonial
powers.

That fate would likely await us also. Their culture would undoubtedly be
much different from ours, and their technology would be suited to their
culture. For us to thus take advantage of their advanced goodies, a
dramatic cultural upheaval would be required.

Does anyone know of any Sci-fi that deals with this issue? Most I've read
runs along these lines;

1) The E.T. type- benevolent cuddly aliens
2) The Childhood's End type- powerful saviors
3) War of the Worlds type- violent encounters
4) The Janissaries- slavers

Oh well enough for now. I would be interested in titles/authors that have
tried to approach the issue of cultural interaction between very different
cultures.

Bye
Jim White

peter@baylor.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (08/17/85)

> That fate would likely await us also. Their culture would undoubtedly be
> much different from ours, and their technology would be suited to their
> culture. For us to thus take advantage of their advanced goodies, a
> dramatic cultural upheaval would be required.

I'd put up with that to get our hands on the technology. Whether we get it from
them or develop it ourselves we'd end up with the same rearrangement of our
society (ever hear of "future shock"? It's just as real as "culture shock"),
so why not do without the waiting period? So what if we end up with a society
like theirs? Chances are we would have anyway. I want to visit Beta Lyrae and
I'm not going to hang around long enough for us to develop a stardrive.

> Does anyone know of any Sci-fi that deals with this issue? Most I've read
> runs along these lines;
>

> 1) The E.T. type- benevolent cuddly aliens
> 2) The Childhood's End type- powerful saviors
> 3) War of the Worlds type- violent encounters
> 4) The Janissaries- slavers

Well, in this case it's the humans coming from space, but how about Tanith
Lee's new book? Also, "High Yeild Bondage" by someone I misremember... and
Niven's "Leshy circuit" stories.
--
	Peter da Silva (the mad Australian werewolf)
		UUCP: ...!shell!neuro1!{hyd-ptd,baylor,datafac}!peter

eyal%wisdom.bitnet@WISCVM.ARPA (08/21/85)

From: Eyal mozes  <eyal%wisdom.bitnet@WISCVM.ARPA>

> That fate would likely await us also. Their culture would
> undoubtedly be much different from ours, and their technology would
> be suited to their culture. For us to thus take advantage of their
> advanced goodies, a dramatic cultural upheaval would be required.

And what makes you think such an upheaval will be bad for us? There are
certainly many things I don't like in our culture today - and the
alternative you're talking about is a culture which was able to reach
the stars!

> Oh well enough for now. I would be interested in titles/authors that
> have tried to approach the issue of cultural interaction between
> very different cultures.

Try Poul Anderson, particularly in the Polesotechnic League - Terran
Empire series. He usually looks from the other end of the stick (WE are
the aliens coming to a less advanced culture), but he does handle the
issue in a very interesting and thoughtful manner.

        Eyal Mozes

        BITNET:                         eyal@wisdom
        CSNET and ARPA:                 eyal%wisdom.bitnet@wiscvm.ARPA
        UUCP:                           ..!decvax!humus!wisdom!eyal

bnw@crash.ARPA (08/21/85)

From: <crash!bnw@nosc.ARPA>

JWHITE%MAINE.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA  (Jim White) writes:
>When the first creature from another planet first sets foot,
>(tenticle, pod, or whatever it may 'set'), on Earth, if it is within
>our power to do so, we should kill it and eat it.

     Not a good idea.  If we landed someone on another planet and the local
primitive-compared-to-us natives promptly made a meal of the astronaut, we
would probably respond by conquering the planet, killing a fair number of
natives in the process.  We could be on the receiving end of that.
     I think your fears are unnecessarily bleak.  Although Western society
subjugated natives in four continents, we weren't as far above them as we
would like to pretend.  Any star-voyaging race that finds us will be further
ahead of us than we are ahead of Cro-Magnon man.
     Moreover, I don't believe that it is possible for any society to reach
the level of distant star exploration until it learns to behave itself in
its own backyard.  Star travelling peoples won't have fought a war in several
generations.  They aren't going to re-learn just for us.

     For some good books about the meeting of two radically different
cultures, try H. Beam Piper's "Fuzzy" novels.  They don't fall into any of
the four categories you mentioned ("cuddly" would only fit a very shallow
reading).
                                                         /Bruce N. Wheelock/
                        arpanet: crash!bnw@ucsd
                           uucp: {ihnp4, cbosgd, sdcsvax, noscvax}!crash!bnw

judith@proper.UUCP (Judith Abrahms) (08/21/85)

In article <> JWHITE%MAINE.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA writes:

>When the first creature from another planet first sets foot, (tenticle,
>pod, or whatever it may 'set'), on Earth, if it is within our power to do
>so, we should kill it and eat it.

If you hadn't added "and eat it," I might have had to conclude that (gaak!)
you were serious!

>E.T. and Close encounters of the Third Kind aside, real extra terrestrials
>are unlikely to be so kind and benevolent.

And it's therefore the best policy to scare hell out of them by eating one...

>                                        ...A space faring race of beings
>would be way ahead of us technologically. Being the case, and assuming a
>continued interaction of two cultures that are many orders of magnitude
>removed from each other technologically, the less advanced race, (us)
>would undoubtedly suffer a wide spread collapse of sociological coherance.

We can avoid this by shooting the first explorer.  The rest of them will just
conclude that we're too tough to mess with!

>Consider the cases on Earth that, during the colonial era of 70 to 200
>years ago, left advanced western/european societies imposing many of
>their cultural norms on the countries/areas they occupied. The American
>Indian, Australian Aboriginal and much of Black Africa today still
>suffers from the colonial period. Their loosely organized societies were
>unable to stand up to the much more structured cultures of the colonial
>powers.

Just think!  If a few of these American Indians and Black Africans had just
had the foresight to kill and eat the first Western Europeans they met, the
Western Europeans would have given up and gone away.  Too bad they were so
hospitable to us!

>                                    ... Their culture would undoubtedly be
>much different from ours, and their technology would be suited to their
>culture. For us to thus take advantage of their advanced goodies, a
>dramatic cultural upheaval would be required.

So rather than risk going nuts by trying to assimilate their technology,
let's risk finding ourselves on the receiving end of it!

Or were you planning to disable the alien's communicator so he can't phone
home?

Good luck!

jeffh@brl-sem.ARPA (the Shadow) (08/21/85)

>That fate would likely await us also. Their culture would undoubtedly be
>much different from ours, and their technology would be suited to their
>culture. For us to thus take advantage of their advanced goodies, a
>dramatic cultural upheaval would be required.
>
>Does anyone know of any Sci-fi that deals with this issue?
>
>Oh well enough for now. I would be interested in titles/authors that have
>tried to approach the issue of cultural interaction between very different
>cultures.

CJ Cherryh has some books dealing with this sort of thing, the FADED
SUN trilogy deals with three very different races trying to interact
after the end of a generations-old war.  In the Chanur books, the
hani are still dealing with the after effects of being turned into a
space-faring race in a generation.  This is brought out a little more
in the most recent book, CHANUR'S VENTURE.  One of my favorites is
HUNTER OF WORLDS; it's about a race that barges into human space in
order to settle an old score, using humans (and other beings) as
pawns in their game.

		"Do not get mad at an elf."

				the Shadow
				ARPA:	<jeffh@brl>
				UUCP:	{seismo,decvax}!brl!jeffh

CJC@psuvm.BITNET (08/24/85)

"The Flying Sorcerers" by David Gerrold & Larry Niven is a very thorough
account of what happened when one enthusiastic Terran anthropologist went
to a rather harsh world with a strong-minded and intelligent, but
technologically primitive race.

ccrdave@ucdavis.UUCP (Lord Kahless) (08/26/85)

>                                                   Although Western society
> subjugated natives in four continents, we weren't as far above them as we
> would like to pretend.  Any star-voyaging race that finds us will be further
> ahead of us than we are ahead of Cro-Magnon man.
>                    Star travelling peoples won't have fought a war in several
> generations.  They aren't going to re-learn just for us.
>                                                          /Bruce N. Wheelock/

I see no reason to believe the above statements.  Let's look at Earth
history.  Wars are probably the greatest motivation for technology
in mankind's history.  Look at how much money was spent for R & D
during W W II.  Look at the results of the short period between
1935 and 1945.  The A bomb, the suborbital rocket, the computer,
and radar, all developed during that brief period.

Think where we would be now if we had been spending as much money
on development over the last forty years as we did during that
period.  How much closer would we be to the stars?  Would we
have already gained a foothold on the outer planets?  Would
we have plans for the stars?

I believe an alternate view.  A society of ruthless high technology
warriors, who remain high technology by putting their resources
into R & D and get the resources by warfare.

				Lord Kahless
				ucbvax!ucdavis!vega!ccrdave