From:     "M. Muehlhaeuser, Univ. Karlsruhe, Telematics Group" <"3075::MUEHLHAEUSER"@V750.IRA>
To:       info-vax-request@germany.CSNET
Subject:  RE: Setting Function keys on VT240

RE: Programming the function keys on a VT2xx

(requested by Ric Steinberger)

a) change <ESC>P0;0... to <ESC>P1;1...

b) if this is not sufficient, add f<ESC>\ at the end of the
   escape-sequence (the 'f' can be replaced by any other character and
   should not be needed according to the manuals).

c) note that the keys are available only when pressed together with
   <SHIFT>

Max Muehlhaeuser
Telematics Group, University of Karlsruhe, W.Germany

(germany) - 721-608-3391

----- End of forwarded messages

art@MITRE.ARPA (Art McClinton) (10/02/86)

Unless you had a typo in your escape sequence, The string terminator
in in 7 bit mode is $\ not $/ as you typed.  The result would be the
terminal hanging waiting for the rest of the terminal load.
Everything sent was being loaded into the F7 definition.

The programmers manual is available for the terminal.  I for one was
happy to see that the quantity of documentation that comes bundled
with the terminal was lowered.  When you buy them in quantity, not
everyone needs a programmers manual.

It is possible that you had previously locked the terminal from set-up so that
it would not accept the clear command.  If I read correctly:
$P1;1|$\ will reset the terminal so that you can then issue commands
to it.  $P0;1|....$\ would then load the keys.  And $P1;0|$\ would
then lock the keys.

I assume that you realize that the function key that you have just
loaded will send its normal key sequence when struck in an un shifted
mode.  The "down loaded" key sequence is only sent if the shift key is
simultaneously depressed while striking the function key.

$ in the above examples is the ascii escape character.

- Arthur T. McClinton Jr., (703) 883-6356
   The MITRE Corporation, Mail Stop Z305
   1820 Dolley Madison Blvd.
   McLean, VA   22102