[net.sf-lovers] Robinson

godwin@uci-icse (08/25/85)

From: Dave Godwin <godwin@uci-icse>

	NO, no, you misunderstand.  When I stated that Robinson doesn't
write 'five-guys-etc' stories, I was responding to a certain person's
rag on these stories as 'garbage'.  Of course Spider writes Calahan's Bar
stories.  My point was that the label 'FGIABetc' was insufficient as a
description.  Perhaps we should begin using the suggested method of
inserting facial expressions as comments <smile>.  This would cause less
confusion over all < cough, gag >.
	And, in my opinion, not all the Calahan stories are simple entertain-
ment either.  'The Time Traveler' from Crosstime Saloon, and that story whose
title I can't remember ( it starred Pyotr and the Lady MacBeth ) were real
real good stuff.  I'm a bit of a music person myself, and when Jake described
the event that led into the story itself, I cried.
	Hey, so how do you spell a <tongue sticking out><cheeks blowing>
raspberry ?

			Dave

gjerawlins@watdaisy.UUCP (Gregory J.E. Rawlins) (08/27/85)

In article <3407@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> godwin@uci-icse writes:
>From: Dave Godwin <godwin@uci-icse>
>[........]
>description.  Perhaps we should begin using the suggested method of
>inserting facial expressions as comments <smile>.  This would cause less
>confusion over all < cough, gag >.

    Ahh good! this makes three of us <beatific smile, smug expression>

[Only interested in pure information in net news? HIT YOUR 'N' KEY NOW!]

>[........]
>	Hey, so how do you spell a <tongue sticking out><cheeks blowing>
>raspberry ?
>			Dave

    A weighty and important question <professorial tone followed by snigger>.
<clears throat>
    After many seconds of contemplation and consultation with our local guru
of colloquialisms <high pitched tone> i came up with
<blort> or <waughhh> or <pppppphhhhhttttt> or <bubububububububu>.
the crazy next to me just suggested <ecchy ecchy ecchy phtang! zwoop...nih...
shhhhhhhh...shhhh...shh...sh...>
    <significant pause>
(i don't know what's wrong with him...i wasn't expecting a bloody
Spanish Inquistion!....<<nnnNNNNNOOOO BODY expects the Spanish Inquistion>>).
    <sudden rush of incoming Cardinals>

    By the way, for those who have no idea what's going on here, the
original comment was a suggestion of mine that we (the net) adopt the
convention of adding facial expressions to our ruminations to make
our meanings (or lack thereof) painfully obvious. Can anyone suggest
any minuses to this idea? (aside from the initial clumsyness of expression)
(another thing: i ripped it off from _Valentina_ by Delaney and Steigler)
	greg.
--
Gregory J.E. Rawlins, Department of Computer Science, U. Waterloo
gjerawlins%watdaisy@waterloo.csnet