[net.sf-lovers] Michael Moorcock and Hawkwind -- and Deep Fix

jam@dcl-cs.UUCP (John A. Mariani) (08/07/85)

In article <4831@mit-eddie.UUCP> nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) writes:
>> From: 4CCVAX..PDUQUETTE@ymir.ARPA (Will Duquette)
>
>> I do believe that Moorcock actually "created" the band in his books
>> about Jerry Cornelius.... So far as I know, the *real* band got their
>> inspiration from this.
>
>> Anybody know for sure?
>
>Well, I find this hard to believe since Michael Moorcock is a sometimes
>member of Hawkwind, but not a founding member.

Sorry, lads. The band MM was involved with is called The Deep Fix.
Better luck next time.

Be Seeing You.

--
UUCP:  ...!seismo!mcvax!ukc!dcl-cs!jam
DARPA: jam%lancs.comp@ucl-cs	| Post: University of Lancaster,

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (08/10/85)

> From: jam@dcl-cs.UUCP (John A. Mariani)

>> [Me:] Well, I find this hard to believe since Michael Moorcock is a
>> sometimes member of Hawkwind, but not a founding member.

> Sorry, lads. The band MM was involved with is called The Deep Fix.
> Better luck next time.

And with a stunning flash of logic you disprove the facts, huh?  Michael
Moorcock couldn't have been in more than one band, could he have?  No,
that would violate a fundamental logical rule: conservation of fantasy
authors in rock groups, huh?  Could you please demonstrate to us some
more of your brilliant deductions?  I await to be enlightened!

			"In the case of sonic attack
			 Survival means every man for himself"

			 Doug Alan
			  nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (or ARPA)

P.S. Deep Fix was even made up of members of Hawkwind.

dbb@aicchi.UUCP (Burch) (08/21/85)

> >Well, I find this hard to believe since Michael Moorcock is a sometimes
> >member of Hawkwind, but not a founding member.
>
> Sorry, lads. The band MM was involved with is called The Deep Fix.
> Better luck next time.

Well.... This Hawkwind album Definitly says "Michael Moorcock" on it...

						-Ben Burch

jam@dcl-cs.UUCP (John A. Mariani) (08/21/85)

In article <4924@mit-eddie.UUCP> nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) writes:
>> From: jam@dcl-cs.UUCP (John A. Mariani)
>
>>> [Me:] Well, I find this hard to believe since Michael Moorcock is a
>>> sometimes member of Hawkwind, but not a founding member.
>
>> The band MM was involved with is called The Deep Fix.
>
>And with a stunning flash of logic you disprove the facts, huh?  Michael
>Moorcock couldn't have been in more than one band, could he have?  No,
>that would violate a fundamental logical rule: conservation of fantasy
>authors in rock groups, huh?  Could you please demonstrate to us some
>more of your brilliant deductions?  I await to be enlightened!
>

>			 Doug Alan
>			  nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (or ARPA)
>P.S. Deep Fix was even made up of members of Hawkwind.

What a jerk! You have included only the parts of my message which enable
 you to "flame" me in an incredibly childish manner. The tone of
 the posting I was commenting on did not allow the possibility of MM
 being involved with more than one band.
 My posting was the first to mention the Deep Fix.
 Only Hawkwind was mentioned!
 So if I was following a "fundamental logical rule",
 it was because you were the first
 to postulate it.

 P.S. I too have edited the included article .. see how easy it is to
 make me look un-jerk-like?

P.P.S I thought puppeteers aren't agressive ... unless,
of course, they are mad.

--

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (08/23/85)

> From: jam@dcl-cs.UUCP (John A. Mariani)

> The tone of the posting I was commenting on did not allow the
> possibility of MM being involved with more than one band.

Bullcrud!  You were replying to me, and I have known for years that
Michael Moorcock was in both Hawkwind and Deep Fix.  He's also helped to
write songs for Blue Oyster Cult.  No one EXCEPT *you*, ever talked
about *the* band that Michael Moorcock was involved with.  The current
discussion was about whether or not Hawkwind got their name from a
Moorcock story or whether Moorcock got the name from Hawkwind.  The
second case is the true one.

> My posting was the first to mention the Deep Fix.  Only Hawkwind was
> mentioned!

That's because if you've mentioned Hawkwind, you've mentioned Deep Fix!
Deep Fix *is* Hawkwind!  They just changed their name because they got
some old people who had left the band to join in and because Moorcock
sang (which he didn't do with Hawkwind) and wrote lots of stuff for it
and probably led the effort.

Hawkwind was at times called Hawkwind Zoo, Hawklords, Sonic Assassins,
etc.

> So if I was following a "fundamental logical rule", it was because you
> were the first to postulate it.

I sugest you read more carefully in the futre and not read into things
which were neither said nor implied.

> P.S. I too have edited the included article .. see how easy it is to
> make me look un-jerk-like?

I'm not convinced!

> P.P.S I thought puppeteers aren't agressive ... unless, of course,
> they are mad.

Well, that's why I'm Nessus....

			"Down a corridor of flame"

jam@dcl-cs.UUCP (John A. Mariani) (08/27/85)

In article <546@aicchi.UUCP> dbb@aicchi.UUCP (Burch) writes:

>> >Well, I find this hard to believe since Michael Moorcock is a sometimes
>> >member of Hawkwind, but not a founding member.
>>
>> Sorry, lads. The band MM was involved with is called The Deep Fix.
>> Better luck next time.
>>

>Well.... This Hawkwind album Definitly says "Michael Moorcock" on it...
>
>						-Ben Burch

OK, Ben, its a fair cop. The way I phrased my comment above was childish
and silly and I apologise to both you and Doug Rice (who flamed me
for it). What had bothered me was NOBODY had mentioned the Deep Fix before I
did and I do believe (rightly or wrongly) that this was MM's own band.
I was aware of his involvement with Hawkwind.

I'll try and be more sensible in future.

Be seeing you.