[net.sf-lovers] Fantastic Voyage fix

kdale@minet-vhn-em.arpa (08/18/85)

From: Keith Dale <kdale@minet-vhn-em.arpa>

Steven Litvintchouk <sdl@mitre-bedford> wrote:
>The problem with "Fantastic Voyage" is that they could never figure
>out a consistent relationship between the principle of
>miniaturization and the conservation of mass.

How about this as an attempt at an explanation?  As a preface, though,
if you're going to swallow the fact of miniaturization,  you're  going
to  have  to accept some pretty flaky assumptions (I mean, it's got to
be on a par with "Beam me up, Scotty!").

  1. The miniaturization process begins with setting up an
     homogeneous field around the object(s) to be mini'ed.
     What kind of field?  Well, a field that reacts in equal
     force or amount to all points within it.  So, Flaky
     Assumption #1 is: this field does not behave according
     to the inverse square rule.

  2. Next, an effect of the field is to reduce energy within
     it's influence by directly converting mass to energy.  The
     energy released is used to sustain the field.  Due to the
     nature of the field, no whole unit of matter is converted
     to energy, but just a part.  The nature of the unit
     of matter is not changed (F.A.#2) and it reduces size in
     proportion to the amount of matter that was converted.

  3. The mass conversion acts on all matter within the field
     equally, so everything is reduced by the same amount.

  4. When you're as small as you want to be, turn off the field.

  5. Since an abnormality in the Grand Scheme of Things exists (a
     proton that *is* a proton, but doesn't have the mass that a
     proton *should*), physical laws begin to reassert themselves
     as soon as the field is shut off.  All miniaturized matter
     attempts to regain normality by gaining energy that will be
     somehow converted back to matter.  How?  I don't know - I've
     never had the chance to interview a scrawny proton before.
     This is definitely F.A.#3.

  6. Assuming that 5. will occur, then we might as well assume
     that the rate of energy reconversion is rapid but requires a
     threshhold point to be reached before matter "grows".  Where
     does this matter get the energy?  From the immediate surroundings
     and according to the inverse square rule; however, this would
     wreak havoc with those surroundings, not to mention the patient! So:

  7. Another field is set up that provides a source of energy that
     is specific to miniaturized matter (F.A.#4).  Surrounding normal
     matter is not affected, and you have a definite time limit on
     how long you can stay small before the mass you're gaining
     becomes a problem (say, for the patient that you're "inhabiting").
     When you exit the patient, the juice can be turned up so that
     you grow more rapidly.  There, that's it.

Please  realize,  folks, that this isn't meant to be an outline on How
to Get Small.  It's just one way of explaning miniaturization and  the
conservation   of  energy,  given  that  something  as  improbable  as
miniaturization is required, in a manner that seems logical.  Turn the
flames on and have fun with it!

BTW,  the  whole  time  I  was writing this, a line from ST2:TWoK kept
screaming in my head - "Jim, you proceed  from  a  false  assumption."
Don't I know it!

Keith M. Dale
(kdale@minet-vhn-em)
BBN Comm Corp
Stuttgart, W. Germany

crm@duke.UUCP (Charlie Martin) (08/20/85)

In article <3323@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> kdale@minet-vhn-em.arpa writes:
>From: Keith Dale <kdale@minet-vhn-em.arpa>
>
>Steven Litvintchouk <sdl@mitre-bedford> wrote:
>>The problem with "Fantastic Voyage" is that they could never figure
>>out a consistent relationship between the principle of
>>miniaturization and the conservation of mass.
>
>How about this as an attempt at an explanation?
The book explanation was that the ``field'' altered the relationship of
the people (ship, rubber suits etc) to the space in which they were
embedded, so that they appeared to be smaller, with less mass etc.
(It's the old rotate-them-through-hyperspace trick, 99!)

That seems whole lot easier to buy than this ``convert them to energy
so they're smaller'' idea.

--

			Charlie Martin
			(...mcnc!duke!crm)

draughn@iitcs.UUCP (Mark Draughn) (08/28/85)

In article <3323@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> kdale@minet-vhn-em.arpa writes:
>How about this as an attempt at an explanation?  As a preface, though,
>if you're going to swallow the fact of miniaturization,  you're  going
>to  have  to accept some pretty flaky assumptions (I mean, it's got to
>be on a par with "Beam me up, Scotty!").
>
>  1. The miniaturization process begins with setting up an
>     homogeneous field around the object(s) to be mini'ed.
>     What kind of field?  Well, a field that reacts in equal
>     force or amount to all points within it.  So, Flaky
>     Assumption #1 is: this field does not behave according
>     to the inverse square rule.
>
>  2. Next, an effect of the field is to reduce energy within
>     it's influence by directly converting mass to energy.  The
>     energy released is used to sustain the field.  Due to the
>     nature of the field, no whole unit of matter is converted
>     to energy, but just a part.  The nature of the unit
>     of matter is not changed (F.A.#2) and it reduces size in
>     proportion to the amount of matter that was converted.
 [...]
 When the matter "attempts" to regain it's mass (after a sort of threshold
 period) it has to draw in erergy.  So...
>  7. Another field is set up that provides a source of energy that
>     is specific to miniaturized matter (F.A.#4).  Surrounding normal
>     matter is not affected, and you have a definite time limit on
>     how long you can stay small before the mass you're gaining
>     becomes a problem (say, for the patient that you're "inhabiting").
>     When you exit the patient, the juice can be turned up so that
>     you grow more rapidly.  There, that's it.

 Problem:  When the mass is converted to energy, you'd get an awful
           lot of energy.  E = m*c^2 get's real big for a person-size
           mass.  I'm not saying this is a big problem though, since
           it can be hand-waved away by storing the energy in the field.

 Problem:  If the particles lose mass without losing charge, I think the
           electron clouds will go nuts.  With less inertia, things will
           move much faster.  I think we have to do some more hand-waving
           and say that the charge is also reduced.  We probably also have
           to say this about the other forces so that the nucleus holds
           together.  (Gravity could probably still be ignored, because
           it is so weak.)

 Problem:  External influences can play havoc with the miniturized objects.
           Molecules near the fringes of the field will be torn apart by the
           many-times-greater charge from the full-size atoms.  Also, what
           about photons?  It seems to me that photons from the outside
           world would blast the electron clouds right off the mini-atoms
           rather than just pop the electrons up a few orbitals.  I think
           we must also stipulate that forces and massless particles from
           the outside world undergo an automatic reduction in strength
           or energy when they cross through the field.

 By the way, the field must be pegged to all particles with mass that were
 in the original shrinking field because it must be flexible, yet not spread
 to surrounding particles.

 What do you think?

                                          Mark Draughn