[mod.computers.vax] VMS & Kermit...

bob@OHIO-STATE.ARPA (Bob Sutterfield) (11/12/86)

In article <1679@ncoast.UUCP> btb@ncoast.UUCP (Brad Banko) writes:
>Kermit dogs our VMS system down... whenever one of us uses kermit
>to communicate over the modem, it really dogs our 11/750 down... it is
>particularly bad when typing long messages or kermitting files... has anybody
>else had this type of problem, and is there an easy fix?
>	I don't know if the problem is with VMS, or Kermit...  Thanks.

	Yes, I've noted that problem on a 750 running VMS.  Even at
1200 bps on a DMF-32 modem port, filling a screen (like by cat(1)ing a
text file on the remote system) can grab over 90% of an otherwise-busy
CPU (thus saith MONITOR).  Curiously enough, unlike your report, I
only saw the problem while CONNECTed to a remote system, never while
SENDing or GETting a file to/from a remote server.

	The clue to the cause is to look (still via MONITOR) at all
the buffered I/O that's going on in your process.  Think about all
those characters passing through the port drivers, the class drivers,
etc. to get to your screen, generating high-priority interrupts as
they go.  It's pretty gruesome.

	I tried various permutations of the SYSGEN parameters
concerning silo and DMA and typeahead buffer sizes, particularly the
one that controls when the minimum-size thing that triggers a switch
to "DMA mode" from character-by-character interrupt mode - I think
it's TTY_DMASIZE (I no longer have any connection with VMS systems, so
my memory is foggy of its name).  Nothing seemed to help me.

	It seems to me that the only way to improve this problem would
be to make Kermit much more intelligent about VMS guts, in order to
bypass some of the layers that characters have to go through.  This,
of course, would make it much less portable, even to new versions of
VMS, as the terminal driver is wont to change occasionally.  Like,
apparently, with new major releases of the operating system.

(This inquiry would be much better directed to the lists
info-kermit@cu20b.arpa or info-vax@sri-kl.arpa, so I've attempted to
direct followups to Usenet groups mod.protocols.kermit and
mod.computers.vax)

bob@OHIO-STATE.ARPA (Bob Sutterfield) (11/12/86)

In article <1679@ncoast.UUCP> btb@ncoast.UUCP (Brad Banko) writes:
>Kermit dogs our VMS system down... whenever one of us uses kermit
>to communicate over the modem, it really dogs our 11/750 down... it is
>particularly bad when typing long messages or kermitting files... has anybody
>else had this type of problem, and is there an easy fix?
>	I don't know if the problem is with VMS, or Kermit...  Thanks.

	Yes, I've noted that  problem on a  750 running VMS.   Even at
1200 bps on a DMF-32 modem port, filling a screen (like by cat(1)ing a
text file on the remote system) can grab over 90% of an otherwise-busy
CPU (thus  saith MONITOR).  Curiously enough,  unlike  your  report, I
only saw the  problem while CONNECTed to a  remote system, never while
SENDing or GETting a file to/from a remote server.

	The same symptoms happen while doing SET HOST/DTE, which would
indicate that it's a problem inherent  to character I/O under VMS, and
not something wrong with Kermit.

	The clue to  the cause is  to look (still  via MONITOR) at all
the buffered  I/O that's  going on  in your process.   Think about all
those characters passing through the port  drivers, the class drivers,
etc. to get from the terminal port to the Kermit application, and then
back out through  the  same layers to  get to your screen,  generating
high-priority interrupts as they go.  It's pretty gruesome.

	I  tried   various   permutations  of  the   SYSGEN parameters
concerning silo and  DMA and typeahead  buffer sizes, particularly the
one that  controls when the minimum-size thing  that triggers a switch
to "DMA mode" from character-by-character   interrupt mode -  I  think
it's TTY_DMASIZE (I no longer have any connection with VMS systems, so
my memory is foggy of its name).  Nothing seemed to help me.

	It seems to me that the only way to improve this problem would
be to  make Kermit much more intelligent  about VMS guts, in  order to
bypass some of  the  layers that characters  have to  go  through.  It
would have  to be smarter than  SET HOST/DTE,  for example.  This,  of
course, would make it much less portable, even to new versions of VMS,
as  the   terminal  driver  is wont  to   change occasionally.   Like,
apparently, with new major releases of the operating system.

	(This  inquiry  would be  much better  directed to  the  lists
info-kermit  or  info-vax, so  I've   attempted to direct followups to
Usenet groups mod.protocols.kermit and mod.computers.vax)