[net.sf-lovers] "Anti-Art" snobbery"

kanders@lll-tis-a (08/21/85)

From: kanders@lll-tis-a (Kevin Anderson)

Hooray for Davis Tucker finally taking to task those  people  who
practice  "Anti-art" snobbery -- those who snort with derision at
something which requires you to turn on a 5 Watt bulb  over  your
head  and  use a few brain cells.  Perhaps this category includes
those people flaming at "awful" DHALGREN ("Gawd, this stuff makes
me  *think*  --  yukk, give me Edgar Rice Burroughs anyday!").  I
have never read DHALGREN, but it's on my list of Must Read  books
(and it's moved up a couple of notches because of this controver-
sy).  I will say, though, that I have never  heard  it  described
with anything less than respectful awe.  It won the Nebula Award,
which is given by the Science Fiction Writers of America  to  the
work  which  the  *writers*  feel is the best piece of literature
published in the past year (and it won the  Nebula  back  in  the
days  when  the  award did mean something).  I think that anybody
who says that DHALGREN is a poorly  written,  plotless  piece  of
trash  should  maybe ask themselves if there is even the remotest
chance they might be MISSING something?

I am relatively new to the net, but I'm rather disturbed  by  the
inordinate  amount  of time spent discussing "mindless adventure"
books and films -- Piers Anthony, Joel Rosenberg's  Guardians  of
the  Flame,  the  deep  questions  behind "Back to the Future" --
sure, it's nice to read books for fun once in  a  while,  but  SF
*is*  the "Literature of Ideas" and you don't often find dazzling
ideas in gosh*wow! space opera.  I can enjoy  watching  a  fluffy
adventure  movie,  too,  but I enjoy a fascinating challenge much
more.  Too many ray  guns,  rocketships,  and  bug-eyed  monsters
makes me afraid my brain will atrophy!

                                -- Kevin J. Anderson

peter@baylor.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (08/23/85)

> From: kanders@lll-tis-a (Kevin Anderson)
>

> Hooray for Davis Tucker finally taking to task those  people  who
> practice  "Anti-art" snobbery -- those who snort with derision at

Etc., etc....

Science fiction is, as you say, the literature of ideas. Unlike other
forms of literature the background has prominence over the characters.
Thus it is that very bad works of literature are very good SF. The
occasional exceptional author can produce a book that's both good SF
and "art". It's my opinion, totally unsubstantiated by statistical
analysis of course, that the % of good literature in SF is probably
about the same as in other forms of fiction... it's just that,  since
SF has other, orthogonal, standards to meet that may take precedence
over the quality of the writing (look at Robert Heinlein, even his good
stuff),  certain books get raved about by the SF community that the
mainstream wouldn't even consider reading. This gets up the critics
nose, since he doesn't realise that there might be other criteria for
judging a work, so he posts abominable reviews such as the one referenced
above.

No, folks, we're not anti-art. We just have other things to look for
than superb characterisation and brilliant prose. If the book has these
as well, great. But it doesn't stand or fall on them.
--
	Peter (Made in Australia) da Silva
		UUCP: ...!shell!neuro1!{hyd-ptd,baylor,datafac}!peter

oyster@uwmacc.UUCP (Vicious Oyster) (08/23/85)

In article <3362@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> kanders@lll-tis-a writes:

>Hooray for Davis Tucker finally taking to task those  people  who
>practice  "Anti-art" snobbery -- those who snort with derision at
>something which requires you to turn on a 5 Watt bulb  over  your
>head  and  use a few brain cells.  Perhaps this category includes
>those people flaming at "awful" DHALGREN ("Gawd, this stuff makes
>me  *think*  --  yukk, give me Edgar Rice Burroughs anyday!").

   I think you may be missing the point.  Seems to me that people are
reacting to the "art snobbery" of Tucker, rather than promoting
"anti-art."  I stopped reading the Problems postings after
they turned from intelligently and carefully thought-out criticism to
random name-calling and self-aggrandizing bleating (somewhere around
part II).  I happened to have enjoyed Dahlgren *and* several Lord of the
Rings clones ('though I draw the line at Burroughs :-), and I suspect that
the vast majority of SF-Lovers readers, if not SF lovers in general, are
equally omnivorous.

>Too many ray  guns,  rocketships,  and  bug-eyed  monsters
>makes me afraid my brain will atrophy!

   Perhaps, but we have a shining example of what happens to those who read
only so-called "artistic" literature.

 - joel "vo" plutchak
{allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!oyster

P.S. My preferred method of dealing with Tuckeresque postings is to 'n' past
the original posting and linger over the inevitable flames.  But then again,
I only do it that way for my own enjoyment, so it's not an artistically valid
thing to do.  God, how I wish Art ruled my universe! <mirthful sarcasm>

brust@hyper.UUCP (Steven Brust) (08/28/85)

> Science fiction is, as you say, the literature of ideas. Unlike other
> forms of literature the background has prominence over the characters.
> Thus it is that very bad works of literature are very good SF. The
> occasional exceptional author can produce a book that's both good SF
>
> 	Peter (Made in Australia) da Silva
> 		UUCP: ...!shell!neuro1!{hyd-ptd,baylor,datafac}!peter
> 		MCI: PDASILVA; CIS: 70216,1076

I respect your opinion on this, but it seems to me that, as
the "lituerature of ideas," the other requirements of the work
(characterization, quality of prose, etc) become stronger, not
weaker, lest the idea fail to get a fair hearing because the
writing itself puts one off the book.

			-- SKZB