[mod.computers.vax] DECnet Areas

JMS@ARIZMIS.BITNET (You have 232 New Mail Messages. So there.) (11/15/86)

>From:  EDU%"$JCH%CLVM.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU" 14-NOV-1986 21:41

>I'm planning a large, protocol independent, university wide ethernet
>making extensive use of LanBridge 100s.  For ease of management I'd like
>to assign DECnet areas to each department.

STOP ! Don't! Don't do that ! You'll regret it !  DECnet is designed
so that it is more efficient to put the full 1024 nodes in one
area than to put 512 nodes in two areas!

Not only that, you'll get burned in a MAJOR way if you ever want to
talk to anyone else.  For example, the PHYSnet and SPAN people are NOT
sympathetic to area hogs (since there are only 63 to be passed around,
these are SCARCE attributes).  The advice from the BIG nets is to assign
one area to your entire campus, and make that area a large one -- 50
or HIGHER.

Area numbers are NOT management domains, they are NOT security domains.
They are part of ROUTING, which is something that DECnet does without any
human help at all.

For one Ethernet, there is NO reason to have multiple areas.  You're just
going to cause more routing traffic to flow on the same media.
Think twice before committing that decision.

jms

| Joel M Snyder                 |             BITNET: jms@arizmis.BITNET
| Univ of Arizona Dep't of MIS  |           ArizoNET: MRSVAX::JMS
| Tucson, Arizona 85721         |    Pseudo-PhoneNET: (602) 621-2748
(std. disclaimer in re: nobody taking anything I say seriously)
"Please, Baby, Please, Baby, Please, Baby, Please, Baby, Baby, Baby, Please"
                                                - Mars