[net.sf-lovers] Jessica Amanda Salmonson

ops@ncsc (08/26/85)

From: ------ Operator <ops@ncsc>

A word of enthusiasm for Jessica Amanda Salmonson, her excellent
anthologies, and the Tomoe Gozen saga.  First, Tomoe Gozen is not
just an invention of the author, she is a figure from Japanese
legend and mythology finely drawn and interpreted by Ms. Salmonson.
The saga of Tomoe Gozen is  classic tragic heroic fantasy, in the
tradition of the Odessey.  It is not a grandmother's tale, though
my boys enjoyed parts of it as bedtime stories.  There are at present
three Tomoe Gozen books, though I can recall only the title of the
first and second books. They are _Tomoe_Gozen_ and _The_Golden_Naginata_
respectively.

Ms. Salmonson has written another novel, _The_Swordswoman_, which
begins with the mental breakdown of a martial artist after she kills
an opponent during a match.  She finds herself transported to another
dimension/world with a feudal Japanese culture.  Although I do not
feel this book is as well written as the Tomoe Gozen saga, it is
worth reading.

Ms. Salmonson is the editor of, among others, _Amazons_ and _Amazons_II_,
two excellent anthologies of heroic fiction about women.  One of my
favorite pieces (in _Amazons_, I believe) is "Sister Light, Sister Dark"
by Jane Yolan, who recently published the hauntingly lovely novel
_The_Cards_of_Grief_ and who is known mainly for her children's books.
Ms. Salmonson has also published work by a Canadian author based on
African legend and mythology about women warriors who ride rhinos into
battle.  Frostflower and Thorn stories have also appeared in her
anthologies.

I highly recommend Jessica Amanda Salmonson's work, both as editor and
author, especially for those tired of stereotypical portrayals of women
in science fiction and fantasy.

jesse (ops@ncsc)

-------

brust@hyper.UUCP (Steven Brust) (08/28/85)

> favorite pieces (in _Amazons_, I believe) is "Sister Light, Sister Dark"
> by Jane Yolan, who recently published the hauntingly lovely novel
> _The_Cards_of_Grief_ and who is known mainly for her children's books.
>

> jesse (ops@ncsc)
>
> -------

Just an enthusiastic endorsement of Jane Yolan in general,
and CARD OF GRIEF and "Sister Light, Sister Dark" in
particular.
		-- SKZB