[mod.computers.vax] Ethernet promiscious mode

GKN@SDSC-SDS.ARPA (Gerard K. Newman) (11/25/86)

	From:	 <LEICHTER-JERRY@YALE.ARPA>
	Subject: Re: Ethernet promiscuious mode (VAX/VMS)
	Date:	 24 NOV 1986 09:49:58 EST

	The beast probably has the most complex interface of any VMS driver ...

Boy, you can say that again.

	WARNING:  Be aware of one restriction, which may not be obvious when
	you first read the documentation:  An Ethernet interface in promiscuous
	mode cannot be shared.  In particular, you will not be able to run
	DECnet through the device while you are using it in this mode.
							-- Jerry

Eh?  It works just fine.  The restriction is that only 1 person can be using
promiscious mode at any given time.  I have this neat program which does lots
of promiscious mode reads to the ethernet and logs the traffic in a file -
its sort of a poor man's ethernet monitor.  Sadly, it tends to exercise a bug
in the XEDRIVER/XQDRIVER which has to do with the length field in the IRP
being wrong, causing ACCVIOs in BUFPOST ...  When DEC gets around to fixing
the problem (it has been SPRed and reported on DSIN) I'll continue work on
said program.

gkn
Arpa:	GKN@SDSC.ARPA
Bitnet:	GKN@SDSC