[mod.computers.vax] submission for mod.computers.vax

D0430@PUCC.BITNET.UUCP (06/23/86)

Newsgroups:  mod.computers.vax
Subject: dma question
Date: Monday, 23-Jun-86 11:09:57 EDT
Userid: D0430

I received only one reply to my last query so let me try a different tack:
I am interested in any experience people have had with
          1) DEC DRU11-C (double buffer DMA card)
          2) ABLE QNIVERTER II
          3) any generic dma cards other than DR11-W or DRV11-W
                 specifically interested in q22-bus.

thanks in advance.  paul lansky (princeton!winnie!paul   or
                                 d0430@pucc on bitnet)
                                 609-452-4241
(seismo, ucbvax, etc, all reach princeton)

D0430@PUCC.BITNET.UUCP (06/26/86)

Newsgroups:  mod.computers.vax
Subject: Re: VME-bus or Multibus-II interfaces for Uni/Q-bus?
Date: Wednesday, 25-Jun-86 23:49:53 EDT
Userid: D0430

In article <[G.BBN.COM]24-Jun-86.16:28:11.WOLF>, WOLF@BBNG (Jerry Wolf) writes:

>We're looking to develop some signal processing software for an
>array processor such as the Sky Warrior or Sky Vortex, and it would
>be convenient to use one of our VAXen or MicroVAXen as the development
>system.  Such AP's .........

Sky makes a version of the Warrior for the Microvax.  There are also others
such as Mercury's Zip which will run on the Q-bus.  Sky also has an inexpensive
board that runs signal processing on the Microvax using TMS32010 chip
($2-3k)  I think the Warrior is in the $15k ballpark.

D0430@PUCC.BITNET (Paul Lansky) (06/27/86)

Newsgroups:  mod.computers.vax  net.unix-wizards net.arch
Subject: Q-bus/uvaxII question
Date: Thursday, 26-Jun-86 19:51:58 EDT
Userid: D0430

This a tricky question: on the MicrovaxII (or Qbus), under Ultrix, if you
have a card which has Q-bus memory, but *not* PMI memory (e.g. it doesnt
connect to the cpu by the PMI, but has its memory on the Q-bus) ----
how do you copy from PMI memory to Q-bus memory? I understand how
ubasetup() works vis-a-vis PTE's and mapping DMA transfers etc, but I
don't understand this issue at all.

please reply here or to d0430@pucc , or  ...princeton!winnie!paul.
thanx
Paul Lansky

D0430@PUCC.BITNET.UUCP (07/05/86)

Newsgroups:  mod.computers.vax  net.unix-wizards net.unix
Subject: MDB Unibus-QBus convertor
Date: Friday, 4-Jul-86 23:39:55 EDT
Userid: D0430

I'm interested in any experience people have with the MDB Unibus<->Qbus
converter, perhaps as opposed to the Able Qniverter II.  thanks

Paul Lansky
Music Department
Princeton University

......princeton!winnie!paul or
.....princeton!winnie!paul or
D0430@PUCC

D0430@PUCC.BITNET (Paul Lansky) (08/09/86)

Newsgroups:  mod.computers.vax
Subject: tk50
Date: Saturday, 9-Aug-86 12:11:14 EDT
Userid: D0430

To people who have been reporting problems with tk50 tapes, and drives
shredding each other, I believe(?!?) a small preventative measure will
help out.  Before you insert a cartridge, simply swing the flap of the
cartridge opened by depressing the tab at the bottom of the back side,
and check to see if the little triangular hook is showing there at the
end of the tape.  According to one experienced serviceman, the problems
arise when the hook is not positioned properly to start with.

I'm not utterly sure about this but it seems reasonable, and I would appreciate
hearing other views and experiences.

D0430@PUCC.BITNET (Paul Lansky) (09/14/86)

Newsgroups:  mod.computers.vax  net.unix-wizards
Subject: Mercury Array Processor
Date: Sunday, 14-Sep-86 10:45:35 EDT
Userid: D0430

Does anyone out there have any experience with the Mercury Zip Array Processor
on a uvaxII?  Thanks.

Paul Lansky
seismo .. etc.  ...... princeton!winnie!paul
                       d0430@pucc

ted@blia.UUCP (Ted Marshall) (11/26/86)

Subject: Re: Re:  Ethernet promiscuious mode (VAX/VMS)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax

In article <8611241538.AA10222@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, LEICHTER-JERRY@YALE.ARPA writes:
> WARNING:  Be aware of one restriction, which may not be obvious when you first
> read the documentation:  An Ethernet interface in promiscuous mode cannot be
> shared.  In particular, you will not be able to run DECnet through the device
> while you are using it in this mode.

This is not quite true in my experience. There can only be one port on
a DxxxA set to promiscuious mode at any time. "Normal" ports can
co-exist with the promiscuious port. However now, instead of the
hardware doing incoming address filtering, the hardware must give EVERY
message on the ethernet to the driver which then does the address
filtering for the normal ports. The upshot of this is that if you have
a slow VAX or ethernet interface (i.e. the DEC DEQNA) and a busy
ethernet, the driver will miss so many messages that most protocols
will fail.

I wrote an ethernet traffic monitor using promiscuious mode. While
running it on our 11/750, DECnet worked ok most of the time. If I tried
it on our u-VAX II, all of the DECnet links would break every time.