[mod.computers.vax] duplication of packets for promiscuius mode

GKN@SDSC-SDS.ARPA (Gerard K. Newman) (11/26/86)

	From:	 <LEICHTER-JERRY@YALE.ARPA>
	Subject: Re: Ethernet promiscuous mode (VAX/VMS)
	Date:	 25 NOV 1986 11:51:22 EST

	...  Since Mr. Newman has a running program that does...

Mr. Newman ... geez!  I've been promoted!  Everybody else calls me ... well,
we won't get into *exactly* what everybody calls me.  Gerard is usually my
favorite choice.

	One thing remains unclear to me, and was the reason I made the
	interpretation I did:  I don't believe that the driver will duplicate
	a received packet, so anything that comes in will be delivered to at
	most one receiving process.

The driver duplicates packets for the promiscuous UCB (provided, of course,
that it can allocate sufficient non-paged pool to do so).  What this means
is that the owner of the promiscuous mode UCB will see every arriving packet
(both owned and un-owned protocol types).

As an aside, when (if) the X{E,Q}DRIVER gets fixed to not lie about the buffer
length in the IRP I will be glad to make available my promiscuous mode
ethernet monitior program ... it's kind of a neat toy.  I'd rather not make
it available until you can run it without fear of crashing your system !

regards,

gkn
Arpa:	GKN@SDSC.ARPA
Bitnet:	GKN@SDSC