[mod.computers.vax] Diff betw show quota and dir/siz/gra

STEINBERGER@SRI-KL.ARPA.UUCP (12/10/86)

When I type $ DIR/SIZ/GRAND
VMS tells me that I have 211 files (no subdirectories on this account)
that amount to 2072 blocks.

When I type $ SHOW QUOTA
VMS tells me that I've used up 2546 blocks of my allotement.

Could someone please explain the apparent discrepancy.  Thanks

Another question:  Is there a "convenient" way to find how long a (logged-in)
terminal has been idle (i.e. in a "wait-I/O") state.  I don't necessarily
want to log off the user, just see how long it's been since they last did
something.

-Ric Steinberger
Steinberger@sri-kl
-------

JSPEAR@AI.AI.MIT.EDU.UUCP (12/14/86)

>Date: Tue 9 Dec 86 14:04:20-PST
>From: Richard Steinberger <STEINBERGER@SRI-KL.ARPA>
>Subject: Diff betw show quota and dir/siz/gra
>When I type $ DIR/SIZ/GRAND
>VMS tells me that I have 211 files (no subdirectories on this account)
>that amount to 2072 blocks.
>
>When I type $ SHOW QUOTA
>VMS tells me that I've used up 2546 blocks of my allotement.
>
>Could someone please explain the apparent discrepancy.  Thanks

Your disk quota = file headers + file space ALLOCATED.  File headers are
stored in the MFD or [000000] directory in INDEXF.SYS, and each file will
consume at least one block (more for heavy fragmentation or long ACLs).
To see file space both used and ALLOCATED, use DIR/SIZE=ALL and the same for
your root directory ([-]xxx.DIR).  Realize that it is possible to have files
owned by you in other directories or in no directory at all (which can be
found by $ANALYZE/DISK/REPAIR). It's also possible for the QUOTA.SYS file to
become corrupted (fix with $ANALYZE/DISK/REPAIR or from DISKQUOTA, REBUILD).

This question comes up often enough that DEC really should clarify the
documentation and consider adding a file's INDEXF space to the DIR/SIZE
report.

- Jon Spear