[mod.computers.vax] Help! What is happening to postings to this group?

ted@cgl.ucsf.edu@blia.UUCP (Ted Marshall) (12/08/86)

Help! I am having problems posting to this news group from UUCP. Within
the past two weeks an associate and I have posted several messages to
mod.computers.vax (UUCP moderated newsgroup) by mailing to info-vax@sri-kl.arpa
These messages seem to have gotten out onto the arpanet mailing list as I
have received several responses from arpa sites. However, none of the
messages have shown up on UUCP news.

Am I doing something wrong? Can the moderator or anyone else who knows what
might be going on please help?

Thank you.

Ted Marshall @ Britton Lee, Inc.
UUCP: ...!ucbvax!mtxinu!blia!ted
Voice: (408)378-7000

kre@seismo.CSS.GOV@munnari.UUCP (12/12/86)

> Help! I am having problems posting to this news group from UUCP. Within
> the past two weeks an associate and I have posted several messages to
> mod.computers.vax by mailing to info-vax@sri-kl.arpa
> These messages seem to have gotten out onto the arpanet mailing list as I
> have received several responses from arpa sites. However, none of the
> messages have shown up on UUCP news.
>
> Am I doing something wrong? Can the moderator or anyone else who knows what
> might be going on please help?

I think your messages made it to usenet too, I have seen serveral
messages from blia in mod.computers.vax recently.

The problem is at ucbvax (STILL Erik!).

This is the path as the news arrived here ...

News-Path: seismo!lll-crg!ames!ucbcad!ucbvax!ted@cgl.ucsf.edu@blia.UUCP

See the @blia down the end?  That means that any news version before
2.11 will not send this article to blia.  I'm not yet convinced that
2.11 does any different (I posted an article to mod.computers.vax
a few days ago, and haven't seen it back yet, and I know our feed,
seismo, is running 2.11).

Erik, please can you fix this!  The Path line there is utter nonsense
anyway, no-one is going to be able to use that for replies.  Just
make the Path start as ucbvax!no-such-user, then anyone silly enough
to use that address for replies will get their mail bounced.

This applies to all the internet lists that aren't really moderated
(truly moderated ones aren't such a problem, but if one of those
was also a usenet site, they would probably get none of their
groups articles!)  These groups are due to turn into unmoderated
usenet groups soon, which will solve most of the problems even without
action at ucbvax.

Robert Elz			kre@munnari.oz.au

ted@cgl.ucsf.edu@blia.UUCP (Ted Marshall) (12/22/86)

In article <8612120541.AA02665@seismo.CSS.GOV>, kre@seismo.CSS.GOV@munnari.UUCP (Robert Elz) writes:
> > Help! I am having problems posting to this news group from UUCP. Within
> > the past two weeks an associate and I have posted several messages to
> > mod.computers.vax by mailing to info-vax@sri-kl.arpa
> > These messages seem to have gotten out onto the arpanet mailing list as I
> > have received several responses from arpa sites. However, none of the
> > messages have shown up on UUCP news.
>
> I think your messages made it to usenet too, I have seen serveral
> messages from blia in mod.computers.vax recently.
> The problem is at ucbvax (STILL Erik!).
> This is the path as the news arrived here ...
> News-Path: seismo!lll-crg!ames!ucbcad!ucbvax!ted@cgl.ucsf.edu@blia.UUCP
> See the @blia down the end?  That means that any news version before
> 2.11 will not send this article to blia..
>
> Robert Elz			kre@munnari.oz.au

This doesn't seem to be the problem. Robert's posting reached me with a
similar path syntax (...!user@arpa-address@host.UUCP) and I have seen several
other similar postings from other UUCP sites since then. I have also posted
several more articles and they haven't gotten back here.

Anyone have any other ideas on what is happening? If not, I guess I'll just
have to live with me (and possibly others) not seeing my postings to this
group. I do have several other postings to make so I'll try posting them
through different UUCP-to-ARPA gateways to see if that makes any difference.

            Ted Marshall
            Britton Lee, Inc.
p-mail:     14600 Winchester Blvd, Los Gatos, Ca 95030
voice:      (408)378-7000
uucp:       ...!ucbvax!mtxinu!blia!ted
ARPA:       mtxinu!blia!ted@Berkeley.EDU
disclaimer: These opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my employer;
            I leave them alone and they leave me alone.
fortune for today:
An elephant is a mouse with an operating system.