[mod.computers.vax] tapescan

HELLER@cs.umass.edu (Stride 440 User) (01/08/87)

> From: John MacMillan <macmillan%wnre.aecl.cdn%ubc.csnet@csnet-relay.csnet>
> Does anyone know of a VMS tapescan utility? Public domain or otherwise,
> that prints the contents of the first n records of each file on a magtape
> (non-backup).

I have a *simple* program which generates a "road map" of a foreign mounted
tape.  The info include the number of blocks in each `file' and how big the
blocks are.  It could easily be modified to spit out a few blocks of each
file.  It is in C and uses $QIO to read the tape.  I also have another
program which does more, but has some subtle bug in the tape I/O buffering
(the simple one does not bother to buffer the blocks, and is thus rather
slow with TU81 streaming tape drives, while the fancy version tries to keep
the tape streaming...).

If you are interested, let me know and I'll send the programs over the net
(they are not large).

		Robert Heller
ARPANet:	Heller@UMass-CS.CSNET
BITNET:		Heller@UMass.BITNET
BIX:		Heller
GEnie:		RHeller
FidoNet:	101/27 (Dave's Fido, Gardner, MA)
CompuServe	71450,3432
Local PV VAXen:	COINS::HELLER
UCC Cyber/DG:	Heller@CS

dp@JASPER.PALLADIAN.COM (Jeffrey Del Papa) (01/11/87)

    Date:     Thu, 8 Jan 87 08:33 EDT
    From:     Stride 440 User <HELLER%cs.umass.edu@RELAY.CS.NET>

    > From: John MacMillan <macmillan%wnre.aecl.cdn%ubc.csnet@csnet-relay.csnet>
    > Does anyone know of a VMS tapescan utility? Public domain or otherwise,
    > that prints the contents of the first n records of each file on a magtape
    > (non-backup).

    I have a *simple* program which generates a "road map" of a foreign mounted
    tape.  The info include the number of blocks in each `file' and how big the
    blocks are.  It could easily be modified to spit out a few blocks of each
    file.  It is in C and uses $QIO to read the tape.  I also have another
    program which does more, but has some subtle bug in the tape I/O buffering
    (the simple one does not bother to buffer the blocks, and is thus rather
    slow with TU81 streaming tape drives, while the fancy version tries to keep
    the tape streaming...).

    If you are interested, let me know and I'll send the programs over the net
    (they are not large).

		    Robert Heller
    ARPANet:	Heller@UMass-CS.CSNET
    BITNET:		Heller@UMass.BITNET
    BIX:		Heller
    GEnie:		RHeller
    FidoNet:	101/27 (Dave's Fido, Gardner, MA)
    CompuServe	71450,3432
    Local PV VAXen:	COINS::HELLER
    UCC Cyber/DG:	Heller@CS

please send me a copy. The MIS types have this IBM tape they need to read, and are
pestering me about it...

<dp>