[mod.computers.vax] info-vax letter

JOHNSON@nuhub.acs.northeastern.edu ("I am only an egg.") (01/12/87)

     >From:	NET%"zar@XHMEIA.CALTECH.EDU" 11-JAN-1987 09:49
     >To:	johnson%nuhub.acs.northeastern.edu@csnet-relay.csnet
     >Subj:	RE: INFO_VAX Letter
     >
     >I feel your letter wrongfully blasts DEC for
     >improperly helping cure your system's DCLTABLES
     >problem. That fact is that DEC correctly found the
     >bug and gave a sollution. I fell your letter only
     >blasted your staf for not being bright enough to
     >replace an installed image properly.
     >
     >D. Zirin

     DEC indeed found the problem.  You are correct.  But, they didn't
know how it happened in the first place.  No one here messes with
DCLTABLES.EXE.  They did say however that it does happen now and then.
I shall henceforth be watching all DEC supplied installation
procedures to see which if any move things to where they shouldn't be.

     I had never before deleted an in-use global section.  Maybe there
is something in a manual somewhere about this but with all the manuals
DEC sells one, I don't recall having seen it.  In any case, DEC should
have known that this wasn't the thing to do on a live system.

Chris Johnson
Northeastern University