[mod.computers.vax] using LAT

ABSTINE@CLVMS.BITNET (AB Stine) (01/07/87)

Does anybody know if there is anyway for SET HOST on VMS to use LAT
instead of CTERM to perform a remote login to another VMS system on
Ethernet? DECnet-DOS SETHOST allows both, I was wondering if DECnet-VMS
maybe could also do it...
thanks

Art Stine
Systems Programmer
Clarkson University

LEICHTER-JERRY@YALE.ARPA (01/12/87)

    Does anybody know if there is anyway for SET HOST on VMS to use LAT
    instead of CTERM to perform a remote login to another VMS system on
    Ethernet? DECnet-DOS SETHOST allows both, I was wondering if DECnet-VMS
    maybe could also do it...
As far as I know, no such program exists.  Sorry.

BTW, why would you want it?  I can understand using LAT between different
kinds of systems, but VMS to VMS, CTERM should do better.

							-- Jerry
-------

ted@cgl.ucsf.edu@blia.UUCP (01/12/87)

In article <8701120516.AA08397@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, LEICHTER-JERRY@YALE.ARPA writes:
> BTW, why would you want it?  I can understand using LAT between different
> kinds of systems, but VMS to VMS, CTERM should do better.

There is a great deal more overhead in using CTERM because it goes through all
of the standard DECnet protocol layers. LAT uses its own ethernet protocol
type value and bypasses all of this. That's why DEC implemented LAT for the
terminal servers. Of course, if you use LAT, the host must be on the same
ethernet. Can't get through a router.

            Ted Marshall
            Britton Lee, Inc.
p-mail:     14600 Winchester Blvd, Los Gatos, Ca 95030
voice:      (408)378-7000
uucp:       ...!ucbvax!mtxinu!blia!ted
ARPA:       mtxinu!blia!ted@Berkeley.EDU
disclaimer: These opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my employer;
            I leave them alone and they leave me alone.
fortune for today:
Ten years of rejection slips is nature's way of telling you to stop
writing.
		-- R. Geis

dstevens@sitvxb.BITNET.UUCP (01/13/87)

 What about the overhead caused by DECnet on a VMS system.   When you set host
 from any system to a VMS system the amount of overhead caused by CTERM is a
 pain (to say the least), but there is very little overhead when you LAT into
 a VAX.
 Also concider, if you have a memory poor vax, and a non-memory poor vax in a
 cluster, and users can only connect directly to the poor vax, what do they do??
 They SET HOST to the other (faster vax).  Now your fast vax is being bogged
 down by all these remote host from the other cluster node, and its no longer
 fast.

 David L. Stevens
 Stevens Institute of Technology
 [ No I'm not related to the founders of the college...I just work here. ]

 BITNET: DSTEVENS@SITVXA.BITNET
 CCnet:  DSTEVENS@SITVXA

ps: I would realy love to see SET HOST/LAT/CTERM in VMS 5.0 (hope-hope beg-beg)

pps: I also am planning on SPRing it as a suggested enhancement

LEICHTER-JERRY@YALE.ARPA (01/14/87)

     What about the overhead caused by DECnet on a VMS system.   When you set
     host from any system to a VMS system the amount of overhead caused by
     CTERM is a pain (to say the least), but there is very little overhead
     when you LAT into a VAX.
I find this puzzling.  We run a fair number of incoming SET HOST connections
(from VAXStations) here, and I've never noticed any particularly high cost.
How are you measuring the cost of a CTERM connection, and the cost of a LAT
connection?  In typical usage, much of the work on a CTERM connection is done
by the local machine (the one the terminal is actually attached to) rather
than the remote one - echoing, deletions, and so on.  Certainly this means
more overhead at the local end, but it's hard to see how it can result in more
overhead at the remote end.  (Screen editors are another case, but even that
isn't so simple, since most typing into screen editors occurs at the end of
a line, and editors these days are usually clever enough to let the OS get
them a bunch of characters and do the echoing itself in this situation.)

Please don't take this as doubting your observations, but I AM trying to
understand them.

			       Also concider, if you have a memory poor vax,
     and a non-memory poor vax in a cluster, and users can only connect
     directly to the poor vax, what do they do??  They SET HOST to the other
     (faster vax).  Now your fast vax is being bogged down by all these remote
     host from the other cluster node, and its no longer fast.
How would this differ if SET HOST/LAT existed?  Wouldn't they users still do
the same thing?  Maybe its your whole setup that needs re-working (moving
lines, moving memory)?

							-- Jerry
-------

LEICHTER-JERRY@YALE.ARPA.UUCP (01/16/87)

    > BTW, why would you want it?  I can understand using LAT between dif-
    > ferent kinds of systems, but VMS to VMS, CTERM should do better.

    There is a great deal more overhead in using CTERM because it goes through
    all of the standard DECnet protocol layers. LAT uses its own ethernet
    protocol type value and bypasses all of this. That's why DEC implemented
    LAT for the terminal servers. Of course, if you use LAT, the host must be
    on the same ethernet. Can't get through a router.

In principle, what you say is true.  In practice, do you have any evidence for
it?  The difference in protocol complexity actually used over an Ethernet is
not all that great; the actual load offered is small compared to capacity (so
that differences are likely to be lost in the noise even if there are any);
and, in any case, it all depends on what you are doing.

Let's take a simple case:  Typing a 30-character command line to VMS.  With
LAT, echoing is done by the VMS system, and given user typing speeds, each
character typed will be transmitted in its own packet, and each echo likewise.
That's around 60 packets.  With CTERM, on the other hand, the local system
handles echoes, deletions, and so on, sends nothing until the entire line is
collected, then sends all 30 characters in one packet.  So which is "more
efficient"?

VMS and CTERM share a model of terminal interaction that is actually quite
complex and sophisticated.  The more the application involved uses the more
sophisticated parts of the model (field editing and so on), the bigger the
advantage CTERM has.  CTERM loses out when it is reduced to imitating LAT,
either because the application uses the interface at a very low level (char-
acter at a time, application echoing) or because it is being used between
systems that don't share this model - RSTS and Unix systems, for example.
(Actually, in this case you have to trade off efficiency and "transparency" -
fidelity in reproducing the non-matching system's interaction model).

BTW, you might think that screen editors would fall into the very-low-level
class; but most typing in screen editors occurs at the ends of lines, and
modern screen editors are generally clever enough to recognize this and simply
ask for as many characters as will fit on the line, with the OS (on the remote
system) doing the echoing (and waking up the application if a control key is
struck, for example).  In fact, most decent terminals today have an insert
mode, which allows this kind of input to be done even in mid-line, in many
cases.

LAT was designed to be efficient for terminal servers, which connect a bunch
of terminals to a relatively small number of hosts.  Each packet between a
server and a host has space for data for multiple terminal sessions; the LAT
protocol gains efficiency when it can actually pack such data together.  Con-
versely, the "single session from a single host to a single host" is the worst
configuration for the LAT protocol - though it will work.

Using the LAT protocol instead of CTERM wins:

	- If you are using applications that use very low level interfaces to
		the terminal driver;

	- If you want to talk to systems with incompatible terminal interac-
		tion models, and you insist on complete transparency;

	- If you want to talk to systems that don't have DECnet (via "reverse
		LAT" connections);

	- If you want to build a terminal server which supports multiple
		terminals, wants to talk to all kinds of hosts - and runs
		on a machine without DECnet support, as building LAT support
		is simpler than building DECnet support.

CTERM PROBABLY wins in other cases - though I'd still like to see someone
measure this, rather than just speculate.

The actual VMS LAT implementation also has one major advantage over the actual
VMS CTERM implementation:  An LTA can be disconnectable (or connect to a pre-
viously disconnected process), while an RTA cannot.  This has nothing to do
with the protocols or their relative efficiencies - it reflects an (unfortu-
nate) series of VMS design decisions.

Finally, one suggestion I saw for why LAT would be better is that SET HOST
only supports one session, while terminal servers support multiple sessions.
This, however, is an issue quite independent of the protocol used.  It would
be quite possible to write an LTPAD that only supported on session, and it
would also be quite possible to write an RTPAD that supported many.  (In fact,
back in V3 days, I actually saw such a beast - it was a hacked up version of
RTPAD that ran 4 sessions.  Rather unreliable, though, as it was derived from
an early, buggy version of RTPAD and didn't benefit from numerous later revi-
sions.  Long gone, now.)
							-- Jerry
-------