[mod.computers.vax] System Dumps

EC0N@TE.CC.CMU.EDU.UUCP (01/15/87)

We recently received an 8650 with 36Mb of system memory.  Due to some
third party software that we are running (TCP/IP) we occasionally get
a system crash.  When I go to use SDA on them I get the following
error message:

	%LIB-F-INSVIRMEM, insufficient virtual memory

Now I have checked the SDA manual, and it says that VIRTUALPAGECNT
must be larger than the system dump file by about 2000 pages.  On our
system it has a value of >76,000, and SYSDUMP.DMP is only 73732
blocks.  From what I can tell this should work.

Anyone out there have any words of wisdom??

- Eric R. Crane
  Carnegie Mellon

  Eric.Crane@TE.CC.CMU.EDU (arpa)
  R602EC0N@CMCCVB (bitnet)
  (412) 268-3568
-------

GKN@SDSC.ARPA.UUCP (01/16/87)

	From:	 Eric R. Crane <EC0N@TE.CC.CMU.EDU>
	Subject: System Dumps
	Date:	 Thu 15 Jan 87 15:57:22-EST

	We recently received an 8650 with 36Mb of system memory.  Due to some
	third party software that we are running (TCP/IP) we occasionally get
	a system crash.  When I go to use SDA on them I get the following
	error message:

		%LIB-F-INSVIRMEM, insufficient virtual memory

Check your paging file quota (PGFLQ).

gkn
--------------------------------------
Arpa:	GKN@SDSC.ARPA
Bitnet:	GKN@SDSC
Span:	SDSC::GKN (5.600)
USPS:	Gerard K. Newman
	San Diego Supercomputer Center
	P.O. Box 85608
	San Diego, CA 92138
AT&T:	619.534.5076
-------

LEICHTER-JERRY@YALE.ARPA.UUCP (01/17/87)

    ....I get the following error message (from SDA):

    	%LIB-F-INSVIRMEM, insufficient virtual memory

    ...[T]he SDA manual ... says that VIRTUALPAGECNT must be larger than
    the system dump file by about 2000 pages.  On our system it has a value
    of >76,000, and SYSDUMP.DMP is only 73732 blocks. From what I can tell
    this should work.

VIRTUALPAGECNT specifies the largest virtual size any process on the system
can ever have.  However, individual processes also have their own limits.
In particular, check the PGFLQUOTA for the username you are running SDA
under, and increase it if necessary.  (SDA maps the dump file directly, so
shouldn't actually need anything like enough PGFLQUOTA for all of it - but
things like symbol definitions - from READ commands - can take up a lot of
space that probably IS backed by the page file.)

If this doesn't seem to be the problem, please provide more details as to
what you were doing at the time the error message appeared.  E.g., does this
happen just after you enter SDA, or only when you issue some particular set
of commands?
							-- Jerry
-------