[mod.computers.vax] user authorization failure

DAVIDLI@SIMVAX.BITNET.UUCP (01/21/87)

I have a MicroVAX II (system 5) with MicroVMS 4.4, a DHV11, an LA210 on
TXA0 (first port on DHV11), and a DEQNA linked to a VAX 11/750 via DECnet.

Any terminal I tie to the DHV11 cannot access the system.  I get a
'User Authorization Failure' message on the terminal.  Even after 12 hours
when NOBODY was using the terminal following a system reboot.

Questions:
        How can I make these terminal ports useful?
        Can I disable the stupid security feature that is causing the
                failure message?
        What avenues of investigation do you recommend?

BTW:  the ports are set up:  /dev=vt100/speed=9600/perm, except for TXA0,
which is set up as a terminal printer port.

Thanks for any help you can give in this matter!

                                        Dave Meile

BITNET: davidli@simvax

DAVIDLI@SIMVAX.BITNET.UUCP (01/21/87)

Ahem....

After sending out my previous message, I ran across a couple of pages in the
MicroVMS users manual that looked suspicious.

MicroVMS very kindly sets up your DHV11 with an Automatic Login File (ALF).
This means that whenever you try to initiate login, the system checks for a
user named USER and automatically logs them in.

However... we are not a 1-user system, so I removed the USER and USERP from
SYSUAF (gotta plug security holes, you know).  And every* DHV11 port was
trying to log in the fictitious USER and getting a 'user authorization
failure' for its trouble.

I've never used the ALF on my 11/750, and I won't use it on my MicroVAX II.
So, I didn't know about that particular 'feature'.  DEC didn't mention it
either.  Sigh.

                                        David Meile

BITNET: davidli@simvax

yerazuws@CSV.RPI.EDU (Crah) (01/23/87)

In article <8701211907.AA29196@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, DAVIDLI@SIMVAX.BITNET (System Manager) writes:
> MicroVMS very kindly sets up your DHV11 with an Automatic Login File (ALF).
> This means that whenever you try to initiate login, the system checks for a
> user named USER and automatically logs them in.

I had the USER account around, but I didn't get any ALF.  Are you sure
that you didn't answer some bizarre question "yes" when it should have
been "no"?   I created an ALF later (months later) and everything
worked fine.  I've deleted the ALF's since and they went away.

I'm using uVMS 4.4 on an AI VAXstation with a DHV-11.

	-Bill Yerazunis