[mod.computers.vax] X windows

SHEN@GE-CRD.ARPA.UUCP (01/27/87)

Date: 27-JAN-1987 11:03
From: shen
Sender: SHEN
Subject: X Windows
To: info-vax@sri-kl@smtp@tcpgateway
--------
We have heard that DEC plans to adopt X Windows in favor of UIS for the
VAX Station in the future.  Is this true?

Can someone educate tell me what X Windows is (any articles and references
would be welcomed) and whether that is/will be a DEC product; when it will be
released, if it is a product?  I understand X Windows is related to Project
Athena at MIT.  Is there anyone (ARPANET address, telephone, etc.) I can
contact on Project Athena to get more info?

Thanks in advance!

Shen@GE-CRD.arpa

--------

monkey@ATHENA.MIT.EDU.UUCP (01/28/87)

Perhaps this will give you a better idea:

The X windows system is running on all Project Athena machines, under
the UNIX operating system.  The X window system itself has been written
such that it can be ported to other operating systems.  Recently,
eleven American, West German, and Japanese computer industry companies
announced their support of X as an industry standard.  More than 70% of
the current workstation vendors now support X, which was developed by
Project Athena and the Laboratory of Computer Science at MIT.  These
companies include DEC, HP, Sony, and Data General, among many others.

For more information, you can contact Professor Lerman, director of
Project Athena: lerman@athena.mit.edu

-Ike.

McGuire_Ed@GRINNELL.MAILNET.UUCP (01/29/87)

An article in _Digital News_, January 26, 1987, "Digital Adds DECWindows To
Unify Its Desktops", p. 6, talks about DEC's support of X windows.  In part,
it says:

"Digital's new DECWindows program, announced last week . . . is a step beyond
the Jan. 15 endorsement by Digital and 10 other computer vendors of the X
Window System . . .  'We're imposing a standard user interface on
top of X [Windows].' . . .  All present and future VAXstations and VAXmates
will support the new architecture as it is implemented during the coming
months."