[mod.computers.vax] sys$expreg

AWalker@RED.RUTGERS.EDU.UUCP (01/29/87)

Would there have been some significant change to the workings of sys$expreg
between vms 4.1 and 4.3 such that the call now takes a lot *longer* to
return?  We have an old application that assumes some large number, does
sys$expreg with that as an argument, decrements the argument by a page,
and keeps doing so until it succeeds.  Now said application takes about
4 hours to start up due to this changed behavior.  What gives??

_H*
-------

GKN@SDSC-SDS.ARPA.UUCP (01/30/87)

	From:	 *Hobbit* <AWalker@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
	Subject: sys$expreg
	Date:	 29 Jan 87 04:40:47 EST

	Would there have been some significant change to the workings of sys$expreg
	between vms 4.1 and 4.3 such that the call now takes a lot *longer* to
	return?  We have an old application that assumes some large number, does
	sys$expreg with that as an argument, decrements the argument by a page,
	and keeps doing so until it succeeds.  Now said application takes about
	4 hours to start up due to this changed behavior.  What gives??

	_H*

Eeek!!!  I don't know if anything is different, but that has to be the most
inefficient way of computing the number of free pages left in your address
space I've ever heard of.  What you really want is the following:

	MIN (PAGFILCNT, FREPTECNT)

both of which are readily available via $GETJPI (as JPI$_PAGFILCNT and
JPI$_FREPTECNT).

gkn
Arpa:	GKN@SDSC.ARPA
Bitnet:	GKN@SDSC