[mod.computers.vax] Enabling process dumps for detached process

GKN@SDSC-SDS.ARPA.UUCP (01/30/87)

	From:	 JCV@CERNVM.BITNET
	Subject: Re: Enabling process dumps for detached process
	Date:	 Thu, 29 Jan 87 18:47:26 GVA

	Apparently, there is no way to tell $CREPRC to set the created process
	to /DUMP ...

Set the bit PRC$M_IMGDMP in the STSFLG argument to the $CREPRC system
service.

I'm at home and don't have a 4.5 manual set handy, but my old 4.2 manual
describes this on page SYS-87 of the VAX/VMS System Services Reference
Manual.

gkn
--------------------------------------
Arpa:	GKN@SDSC.ARPA
Bitnet:	GKN@SDSC
Span:	SDSC::GKN (5.600)
USPS:	Gerard K. Newman
	San Diego Supercomputer Center
	P.O. Box 85608
	San Diego, CA 92138
AT&T:	619.534.5076
-------

JCV@CERNVM.BITNET.UUCP (01/30/87)

Apparently, there is no way to tell $CREPRC to set the created process
to /DUMP (it must be there somewhere, because RUN/DET/DUMP works, but
it's not documented). A workaround is to let the created process do it:
Either (when running with DCL) do a SET PROCESS/DUMP, or call a small
routine in kernel mode to set the bit in the process status. I can
supply you with the code for that, if you want. This assumes you have
CMKRNL privilege, but as it's only required for debugging the program,
that shouldn't be a problem.

     Jan