[mod.computers.vax] Another Excelan question...

ROY@gmr.com.UUCP (01/30/87)

I know there are quite a few Excelan installations out there from the number of
a new problem with our Excelan board/EXOS software--specifically when
using TELNET.

We had the board installed on a VAX 11/785 with no problems.  Last weekend, we
had it moved to a different 11/785 in the cluster.  No software move was
involved--just starting it up in a different section of startup.  Now the
problem...Monday a.m. users started complaining of *random* transposed
characters and garbage on the screen when using TELNET to get to the suns or
hypercube.  It happens whether the user is hard-wired, DECNETed, or attached
through broadband SYTEK to the VAX CPU.  We have checked the cabling to the
board (DEC field service says it looks fine), and have tried re-installing and
linking the driver.  The board should have the same address on both systems,
so that is not a problem.

We are out of ideas and getting ready to order a replacement board.  Does
anyone have any experience with a problem like this or even any suggestions??

Thanks-
Lynette Roy
GM Research Labs
Warren, MI
313/986-1379

CSNET ADDRESS:  ROY@GMR.COM or ROY@GMR.CSNET

GKN@SDSC.ARPA.UUCP (01/30/87)

	From:	 "Lynette (Hanus) Roy" <ROY%gmr.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
	Subject: Another Excelan question...
	Date:	 Tue, 27 Jan 87 13:00 ???

	We had the board installed on a VAX 11/785 with no problems.  Last
	weekend, we had it moved to a different 11/785 in the cluster. [...]

	...Monday a.m. users started complaining of *random* transposed
	characters and garbage on the screen when using TELNET to get to the
	suns or [...]

It could be a faulty UNIBUS adapter.  I had one once which tended to "stutter"
sometimes and I'd get two of whatever the last quantity was that was shipped
down the UNIBUS.  It drove me crazy because the only thing that really tended
to happen on were largish DECnet copies over a DMR-11, and the DMR driver and
hardware (according to the base table) didn't detect any errors, but DAP sure
did.

gkn
Arpa:	GKN@SDSC.ARPA
Bitnet:	GKN@SDSC