[net.sf-lovers] Niven's Known space: hyperdrive for sale

phil@rice.ARPA (08/25/85)

From: William LeFebvre <phil@rice.ARPA>

> From: Cate3.SV@Xerox.ARPA
> that time the Puppeteer's had not sold the secret of going faster
> than the speed of light yet.

> From: baylor!peter@topaz.arpa (Peter da Silva)
> before the Puppeteers sold the Hyperdrive to Homo Sap...

Whoa!  Let's get our facts straight.  The Outsiders sold the secret of
hyperdrive to Homo Sapiens.  The Puppeteers did have something to do
with it (read "Ringworld"), but the actual sale took place between Man
and the Outsiders.

******  SPOILER WARNING!  ******

But now that I think about it, it seems that the ending of "A Gift
from Earth" is inconsistent with "Ringworld".  In "Ringworld", we are
led to believe that the Puppeteers used a Starseed lure to force a
meeting between the Outsiders and Man, knowing that Man would buy the
FTL drive and then win the Man-Kzin war.  But, at the end of "A Gift
from Earth", the outsiders pick up the trail of a ramscoop robot and
compute its destination (or was it source?) and say to themselves,
"Ahhh, new customers".  Oops!

			William LeFebvre
			Department of Computer Science
			Rice University
			<phil@Rice.arpa>
                        or, for the daring: <phil@Rice.edu>

joel@peora.UUCP (Joel Upchurch) (08/28/85)

>******  SPOILER WARNING!  ******
>
>But now that I think about it, it seems that the ending of "A Gift
>from Earth" is inconsistent with "Ringworld".  In "Ringworld", we are
>led to believe that the Puppeteers used a Starseed lure to force a
>meeting between the Outsiders and Man, knowing that Man would buy the
>FTL drive and then win the Man-Kzin war.  But, at the end of "A Gift
>from Earth", the outsiders pick up the trail of a ramscoop robot and
>compute its destination (or was it source?) and say to themselves,
>"Ahhh, new customers".  Oops!
>
>                        William LeFebvre

        I don't think this is  a  problem.  The  puppeteers  used  the
        starseed lure to pull the Outsiders  into  human  space,  then
        when  the Outsiders saw the ramscoop robot they followed it to
        We Made It.

peter@baylor.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (09/03/85)

> But now that I think about it, it seems that the ending of "A Gift
> from Earth" is inconsistent with "Ringworld".  In "Ringworld", we are
> led to believe that the Puppeteers used a Starseed lure to force a
> meeting between the Outsiders and Man, knowing that Man would buy the
> FTL drive and then win the Man-Kzin war.  But, at the end of "A Gift
> from Earth", the outsiders pick up the trail of a ramscoop robot and
> compute its destination (or was it source?) and say to themselves,
> "Ahhh, new customers".  Oops!

The starseed lure could have lured them into the vicinity, and the scoop
gave them the last little nudge?
--
	Peter (Made in Australia) da Silva
		UUCP: ...!shell!neuro1!{hyd-ptd,baylor,datafac}!peter